Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My high beams work but they don't stay on and the blue high beam indicator on the instrument cluster does not light up. I tested the low and high beam 12v, 20amp (5-pin) relays. The low beam test failed and I will replace it. However, these relays needed a lot of persuasion to extract and I actually broke plastic on the low beam relay housing. Does anyone have recommendations for or against using dielectric grease on the relay pins?

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
Your choice, I've done it before.

The pins are super tight to help with contact, Ford has been involved in intentionally under designing circuits to use smaller contacts and wires of late to save weight and cash on copper. Why they lean toward so many electrical fires in the last 25 years. Make the pins tighter you can make them slightly smaller in gauge thickness of material. Take note of how small relays are getting now. Make them tight and you sell more parts when they tear up coming out, it's a whole new stream of parts sales now.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,510 Posts
these relays needed a lot of persuasion to extract and I actually broke plastic on the low beam relay housing
Yeah, that happens on several of the relays when you try to remove them. I have been using dielectric grease on mine for some time now for that very reason. No issues so far. Of course, if the socket is too loose for the relay (not the issue you are having) then grease will make contact between relay pins and socket pins worse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was not aware of ford electrical fires being an issue. In my experiences I've found that if you are able to pry under the relay instead of from its housing it comes out intact with no issues. Still a pain though either way.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
There is a whole history of Ford and car fires if you look. The ignition switches that burned cars and trucks up in every line they made some 25 years ago, cars recalled by the millions. Then it was a vast number of vehicles with bad cruise control switches that were catching on fire even parked in garages to burn down homes, Ford had to tell people not to park them in garage.

Focus alone has had so many potential fire issues you can't count. I have had melting wires on both the ones I have in way more than one spot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t going to make a mistake by applying grease. I ended up using dielectric grease on four relays that I replaced – the bad relays clicked but had a lot of resistance and/or I cracked the housings. High beams stay on now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts