Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Memphis!

Well I just got my car back from the shop, had to get a new Ignition Coil installed. The mechanics said I also have error code P0141 -- that the heater in the rear 02 Oxygen sensor is bad. They said it would cost around $175-$200 to repair, but that there is no rush and it shouldn't prevent the car from running properly. I decided I'll wait since I just dished out a decent amount of money for the ignition coil.

So this isn't a high priority of mine to get fixed at a shop, as it is quite pricey and doesn't seem to be much of a threat at the moment. However, I was wondering how easy this would be to do myself? All I really know how to do is change the oil on cars, so I don't want to attempt something that is way over my head. I've read that this is pretty straight forward and cheap to replace, but I've been unable to find further instructions on how to do this on my Ford Focus 2003 SVT (2 door hatchback).

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Kyle

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hello Kkeiran,

You will need to go to your local store buy an O2 sensor socket. It kinda looks like a 5/8 socket with a split in the middle. the middle of the split is for the cable to come out when removing the O2 sensor. Get your 1/4 socket turn it and bingo. The installation is about the same..

·
Registered
30 Posts
And just to add to what p90xsexyguy is saying, you also want to get the car to operational temperature. It would make it alot easier to remove the O2 sensor. You can get the rear o2 sensor from Mike (b16sir1991) at Hilbish Ford for $59.51 which is the best price that you can get for an o2 sensor for the SVTF.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
a MIL eliminator is cheaper than that.

basicly the rear o2 only assesses the performance of the cat. it does not affect how your car drives. many people on here have eliminate their cat and they use a MIL eliminator (or a tune). MIL - malfunction indicator lamp. basicly it gets rid of the check engine light (CEL).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but... where would I find the rear oxygen sensor on my car? What does it look like? Easy for me to get to? As for those wires, are those simple to connect as well or will I need to do some splicing? So many questions, sorry. [:I] Just want to make sure I go in somewhat prepared.

Hehe, thanks everyone. I will pick up one of those sockets and get in touch with Mike as well. I was browsing around for the part and found some for as low as $15-$40, but those ended up redirecting to eBay auctions and I'm guessing those are of bad quality? (like this and this).

thenorm, I'm relieved to hear that this doesn't affect how my car drives, I guess I really shouldn't be too worried about it.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
no splicing...a simple disconnect from harness and take off from the cat.

stick with motorcraft o2's...there roughly about 85 bucks a pop.

they are both located near the bottom of the car on the cat right after the exhaust manifold.

heres a link where you can buy both o2 sensors.
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=641

and PS: I wouldent trust any of those o2 sensors on ebay that are not OEM.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but... where would I find the rear oxygen sensor on my car? What does it look like? Easy for me to get to? As for those wires, are those simple to connect as well or will I need to do some splicing? So many questions, sorry. [:I] Just want to make sure I go in somewhat prepared.
The sensor looks like the pics. You can find the rear O2 sensor at the back of the engine connected to the catalytic converter. You can't miss it.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Actually I was having a lot of troubles when my rear o2, took 3 times finally to get it right and not have a MIL appear. what happened is the first o2 was a schiesty Bosch so I got a Motorcraft after but this one kept shorting out every time we put it in then I got one more from Mike and this time it worked. My car was running horrible tho during all these troubles I dont know how yours is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh no, jmac2806! [:(]

Thanks for the pictures, mrprichda2! [cool]

dirtbrown, $85 seems a bit pricey? I guess you get what you pay for though. Do you know how the quality of the ones provided by Mike compare to the ones you're referring to?

Thanks all. <3

·
Registered
3 Posts
cheapest you can get

Greetings from Memphis!

Well I just got my car back from the shop, had to get a new Ignition Coil installed. The mechanics said I also have error code P0141 -- that the heater in the rear 02 Oxygen sensor is bad. They said it would cost around $175-$200 to repair, but that there is no rush and it shouldn't prevent the car from running properly. I decided I'll wait since I just dished out a decent amount of money for the ignition coil.

So this isn't a high priority of mine to get fixed at a shop, as it is quite pricey and doesn't seem to be much of a threat at the moment. However, I was wondering how easy this would be to do myself? All I really know how to do is change the oil on cars, so I don't want to attempt something that is way over my head. I've read that this is pretty straight forward and cheap to replace, but I've been unable to find further instructions on how to do this on my Ford Focus 2003 SVT (2 door hatchback).

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Kyle
cheapest ive found

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

or get the mil for a lil over $5.00 heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/o2-o...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

[headbang]

which one causes the exhaust to smoke front or rear sensor?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts