Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My instrument cluster has been spazzing out for years periodically, and now it's finally shit the bed. Rather than spend $500 at Ford for a new one, I got a used one on Ebay for $45. I'm going to install it soon, but I've gotten mixed stories about whether or not I'm going to have issues once it's installed. Some say it won't work at all; that the cluster's memory won't work in another car. Some say it'll work fine.

I wish that I could get my mileage transferred to this new/used one, but I've been told that this is impossible.

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
i have a 02 but i think the clusters are basically the same. a few months ago i switched to a junkyard cluster because i wanted a tach. i documented the mileage on both clusters at the time of the swap so i know how many my car has. the mieage is the biggest problem ive had. that and my brake and abs light came on when i swapped. i believe this is because my car is non abs and the one it came from had abs. anytime the abs light is on the brake warning light is also on. i geuss because there is no input signal going to the cluster from the abs system it could trigger the light. besides that ive been loving the new cluster. both of my problems are an easy fix i just gotta pull the bulbs on the lights and keep track of my mileage. good luck with your swap hopefully car it came from had the same options as yours

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have a 02 but i think the clusters are basically the same. a few months ago i switched to a junkyard cluster because i wanted a tach. i documented the mileage on both clusters at the time of the swap so i know how many my car has. the mieage is the biggest problem ive had. that and my brake and abs light came on when i swapped. i believe this is because my car is non abs and the one it came from had abs. anytime the abs light is on the brake warning light is also on. i geuss because there is no input signal going to the cluster from the abs system it could trigger the light. besides that ive been loving the new cluster. both of my problems are an easy fix i just gotta pull the bulbs on the lights and keep track of my mileage. good luck with your swap hopefully car it came from had the same options as yours
I just did this swap today. Those same lights are on. I will also just take the bulbs out. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I searched and searched about 4-5 months ago and then gave up. Then i decided i wanted a tach again so i did more research and found that the 00-2004 have a white plug. The 2005-2007 have a gray plug. These plugs are not interchangable.

It was a pretty easy swap for me because im in a wheelchair and i had to rip apart my lower dash to install the hand controls i need to drive it. I only had to remove a few screws and the dash popped out. 4 screws around the cluster and then it pops out.

I just did the swap on mine a few weeks ago. Mine had 52K on the OEM cluster and i found one with a tach from e-bay. There was no post of the milage or any pictures but it was only $40. so i took the gamble and bought it.

Got it in and it only had 24K on it.

What i had to do was keep it unbolted from the dash and pop the front clear plastic off. 4 black clips and you can then access the needles. My new cluster was not calibrated it was off 5mph on the speedo, and the tach was off as well.

The cool thing is the LCD odometer has a test mode you hold the trip reset button down and hold it as you turn the key hold it till it says "test" then you tap it till it says "E" for the digital speedometer. And "t" for the tach. I just drove it around a few times and figured out how far it was off. Popped the needles off and popped them back on in the correct position.

For the fuel i read some one said to fill it full then put the needle back on "F" i went from that and im all setup now.

Its one of the best mods ive done to my focus now.

Also what ive also found, most 05's have the tach. Few 06 and even fewer 07s. Its like the 06 and 07 got more and more stripped down each year.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
My swap went without issues, but i lucked out with a matching year "high line" (with tach) unit to replace my "low line" (without tach.) unit that had an issue with an intermittent brake warning light...

Slightly lower mileage as well (numbers recorded....)

Luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm obviously a little late on this post however I'm doing the same thing to mine, however I have access to the Ford IDS and can program mine.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I'm obviously a little late on this post however I'm doing the same thing to mine, however I have access to the Ford IDS and can program mine.
IDS to program what? the proper milage?

·
Registered
335 Posts
With the IDS you can configure the cluster with his vehicles configuration data. So it will work correctly with no incorrect warning lights. Unfortunately you still can't configure the mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2008 focus se gauge cluster took a complete crap, and I bought one from my local wrecker, when I plug it in everything works fine, except the car will not start.. if I plug the old one in it works, then leave it running and plug the new one in, everything is fine, I drive everything is working, except that the secure lock warning light is flashing like mad, and if I turn the car off it won't start again until I plug the old cluster back in.

What do I do to fix this.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
Don't know how hard it is to get apart but if you can get both units apart to find a chip or control unit of some type to swap you may fix it. Sounds like there is a chip in there the PCM is looking at to determine compatibility with each other.

Either do that or get the new chip reflashed to match your old one. Dealership work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts