Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried to replace the clutch on the SVT themselves? Let me know how u did it if u did?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
There are some on here that have, perhaps some of them will chime in but I heard it's a real PITA to do! I am NOT looking forward to it when mine goes, will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Just curious, is yours slipping or are you just wanting to up-grade?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
if you have a strong mechanical background and the right tools, a lift, and an air compressor...it's a 6 hour job. if you're doing it on the floor...maybe a bit longer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my clutch is slipping, i need to replace it asap. my brother and i are thinking of doing it, because i dont have that extra cash to have it done, especially since im gonna upgrade.

·
Registered
190 Posts
How hard is a LSD swap at home too, when my clutch starts to go , i plan to do both the LSD and clutch at the same time , or will i have to bring the tranny to the shop for that

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sounds like a similar plan I will do when the time comes, hopefully pretty far from now. BTW how many miles are on your clutch at the moment and how do you drive the car? I have about 61K on my clutch and I'm not abusive.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Clutches can be done at home... but an LSD install should be done by a pro. best bet is when the tranny is off the car, just haul it to a transmission/diff place and have them do the Diff install. they can shim it correctly. If its not shimmed right you could end up torching bearings, or even the case if its bad enough. Labor if you bring in an already dismounted tranny is cheap for a diff install.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Believe me if you can pull the trans and change the clutch you can do the LSD install. IF you want I can send you detailed instructions with pictures, part numbers and torque specs if you would like. I can do the diff swap in less than 30 min once the trans is on the workbench.

·
Registered
356 Posts
no
just rotate the engine a bit and remove one axel. the 2004 service manual has the proper process outlined, the 2002 manual has an incorrect process that includes pulling the sub frame.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Byron 3465 said:
Believe me if you can pull the trans and change the clutch you can do the LSD install. IF you want I can send you detailed instructions with pictures, part numbers and torque specs if you would like. I can do the diff swap in less than 30 min once the trans is on the workbench.
So you know how to shim a Diff? You have the materials and knowledge on how to do that properly? I know lots of people just throw in a diff and are done with it... but also lots of people develop seal leaks and burned up bearings.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Byron's instructions do include how to shim the diff. We'll be trying this on tuesday with a torsen and thankfully I have some really good mechanics.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The seal leaks are usually because the seal was damaged putting the axle back in (nicked while trying to line the splines up) or because the axle was not completly seated in the diff (they go in and CLICK in place)

And shimming the side bearings is a piece of cake (you can usually find a slection of shims at a local differential shop, just take the new bearings with you so you know what the OD of the shim needs to be, I recomend having about .150" worth of shims in sizes of .005-.010-.020 and .050inch and from that you should be able to come up with the right combinations)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Byron,

Does .120" sound reasonable for a torsen? The gap between the race and seat looks to be .080, then add the .040 for prelooad, right?

Thanks for the help to on getting the races out. I just didn't get the case hot enough.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Thanks for the info Clegg.

Byron- would a stock diff start to develop play and cause some backlash? I've noticed a little bit more backlash in the drivetrain lately and it's pretty annoying. I think it's a combo of the trans starting to wear and the rear engine mount being sloppy. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would find it hard to believe that you have worn the gearbox enough to feel any additional "slop" in the drive. My guess is you have a rear engine mount that is loose or coming apart.

·
Registered
82 Posts
BADIDEA,
you have a PM,
I had to go back and look at the preload spec on the bearings and there is a misprint in the instructions. The preload is 0.008" NOT 0.04" the spec from Getrag is 0.2 +/- 0.05 mm (turns out to be 0.006- 0.010" when you do the math)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Glad I'm a really slow mechanic! Hopefully will have the gearbox put back together and in the car before dark tonight. Rain, rain, go away.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Byron 3465 said:
The preload is 0.008" NOT 0.04"
Seeing as I have your instructions right in front of me:
"Carefully remove the bell housing and measure the distance between the bearing race and the shoulder it is supposed to seat on.
The shim you need is this dimension PLUS 0.040 inches this is the preload needed for the bearings."

^^^ So. I should revise that to say 0.008???
Byron 3465 said:
the spec from Getrag is 0.2 +/- 0.05 mm (turns out to be 0.006- 0.010" when you do the math)
I don't know about you, but I get 0.15-0.25 (for 0.2+/-0.05). [dunno]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts