Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when i bought my 03 spi it came with green coolant on the resevoir. Now that I'm doing a head swap i read int he manual that it requires a gold coolant type. Should i swap coolant for the gold type or should i keep using the green antifreeze? I would like to drain the antifreeze on the engine block (by disconnecting lower hose), but I'm not sure if i should leave the block empty and add water when I'm finish through the reservoir. Can someone offer advise? thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
IMO use whatever you want...just don't mix types...pick one and stick with it for the life of the coolant.

Do a complete flush of block, radiator, and a back flush of heater core with the water hose.

If needed, clean the reservoir by putting ice in it and shake it around to scrub the inside.

Buy 1 gal full-strength antifreeze and 1 gal distilled water. Look up cooling capacity in owner's manual and put in antifreeze equal to 50% of capacity first, and then top off with water.

Rev the engine a couple of times after starting engine to burp the heater core of any trapped air.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Is it ok to run the engine with no coolant on block?
Yes, but not for extended intervals. There is no corrosion protection with straight water. Not if you might experience freezing temps either.

When I flush coolant, I refill with water, run it for a day, repeat until it drains out clear, then add the new coolant.

I hope you didn't mean "dry" but instead meant plain water. Never run a motor without liquid in the cooling system.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
He didn't say without antifreeze, he said without coolant, so I take that to mean block is dry.

And remember, it is December and he may be in Canada for all we know. He doesn't have any info in his profile.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in texas and what i meant was to run the block without antifreeze until the thermostat opens so new coolant fills it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Really not sure what you're thinking of, a thermostat won't open without coolant (or water) filling the system.

FocusKnot had it right, if it's been flushed & there might still be water in there start with 50% capacity in straight coolant, then add water to fill. NEVER more water than the amount of concentrate or you won't be at 50/50.

Run without coolant at all & your water pump can be damaged, needs lubrication/cooling.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
The color of the antifreeze doesn't mean squat, often the replacement ones that sub for the yellow are green themselves since people are so used to that color. The green I sold at the parts store subbed for yellow, orange, red, blue, purple or each brand's pet color. It was long life antifreeze as vs. old school shorter life green, the green being not quite the same color. I use the old school stuff as it does not die nearly so fast as they would have you think and it protects instantly against corrosion as vs. the extended life, which takes a while to come on 100%.

I'm in Texas too, 1 gallon of pure AFZ will cover these cars if you have 100% water and drain a gallon of it to make room. 1 gallon mixed in the system is good for around 20 or more below and we'll never get that cold here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts