Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary and would you do it? Nothing is leaking or bulging but they are almost 12 years old and have 145k miles on them.

I'm thinking that a $100 or so, at least, and getting another year out of the car, at least, might be worth it.

Any sources for decent replacement, decent fitting and reliable hoses?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do it; however, I do a quick engine bay visual whenever the hoods up, hoses included, and flush the coolant periodically. Not saying that's going to save me but hoses usually bulge or weep before they pop like you've stated. Just playing the odds.
The thermostat housing, fan resistor (on AC cars) and that front plastic "coolant tube" seem to be the most failure prone parts of the cooling system.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I haven't checked, but RockAuto seems to have outstanding prices on things like that. It might be so cheap for good rubber like Gates that you might be surprised. Any time you order from them you have to be careful about shipping from multiple locations as it will increase your shipping charges. If you haven't done them in a while- plugs are ultra cheap, but I only get them if I'm getting something else.

Should you change it? That's up to you bro. You keep an eye on your vehicles more than average people might, but if you make long trips frequently, then you might want to consider it. Does your insurance offer towing?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Insurance? - other than the mandatory liability it's been 'self insured' on this 12 year old car for the last 6 years..... so no towing. It's definitely an 'around town' car but I take it on 200+ mile round trips to 'look for potential' problems from time-to-time (gets great gas mileage too).

I'd like all failures to 'occur' in the driveway or at least allow the car to make it back to the driveway before a catastrophic failure..... a $60 dollar hook fee and a $2-to-$3 a mile fee will add up when 100 to 200 miles from 'the driveway'.

It's a pity that most every part, especially wire harnesses, are all labeled with part numbers making it easy to identify and order/replace parts with the exception of the coolant hoses/lines. They don't seem to have them or they just wore off over time.

I guess it might be time to 'try' the local Ford dealers parts guys patience and get a list of hose numbers..... then go to the on-line Ford sales guys.

I too play the odds but I'd be pissed at this point if I lost an engine because it suddenly dumped all it's coolant when I was thinking about replacing hoses, especially on a long hill climb..... lol.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
00 SOHC
upper rad hose: YS4Z 8260 CE
lower rad hose: YS4Z 8286 CA
"aspirator" hose: YS4Z 8K012 AC
That'll get you started.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You can look up parts by the car/YM. RockAuto also sells MC parts, so if those are available you can get the part # from them. I'd get the heater hoses too while you're at it.

You might want to look into towing with your insurance company. I have USAA, and towing in my area is $10/yr. It's very handy, when I have had to use it it has worked very well, but be sure to ask how it works. Mine, for example, will only tow a max of 14 miles, and they really want me to tow it to a shop. I have used it to tow home several times over the years, and haven't had an issue yet. I know tows around here run $100 or so for about 14 miles, so it's a bargain for me. I figure I'll have to have something towed every 10 years. The best part about it is that I just call them, and they call the towing company. That way I don't have to search for a tow company while on the road.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would do. I am with the guy that posted earlier. it is much easier and cheaper to do in your driveway then on the side of the highway..I was thinking of doing it on my focus I just got a month ago but decided I might be selling it and if not I will do it next year. I had looked up some of the hoses on Rockauto.com......it gets confusing because some are in the heat and ac section and some are in the cooling system section........I think there are 9 hoses all together. they should be about $70 from rockauto.......I did it on a 98 saab last year. I bought all 9 hoses for about $60. it did not take long at all....I reused the old clamps for the most part. if you have a few hard to get at spots you can use the new clamps they make now with the plastic butterfly thing on them. it allows you to tighten it by hand....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do it; however, I do a quick engine bay visual whenever the hoods up, hoses included, and flush the coolant periodically. Not saying that's going to save me but hoses usually bulge or weep before they pop like you've stated. Just playing the odds.
The thermostat housing, fan resistor (on AC cars) and that front plastic "coolant tube" seem to be the most failure prone parts of the cooling system.
Used to be that they would bulge...swell or ???....but these days they just go bad with no real indications?

I had a top rad hose go on a 280ZX...just split on top where most heat was...cord and rubber were weak to the point of having no strength...could be torn by hand.

There have been 2 posts on this forum about the heater hoses where they curve to go into the firewall...having split....cars with around 150K?

It's a real pain to have to do...and when you mess with stuff you take a chance of causing more problems....but it's something I plan to do at a bit over 100K miles....at least the two big rad hoses in front...starting with the top one.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are 13 hoses on the early 2000 SPI (need to double check that next oil change when on ramps). And they are all formed ,to some degree, for the most part. A couple short 90 degree ones near the thermostat housing.

The three big ones: Upper and Lower radiator hoses plus another (either water pump or over flow tank - have to look it up). One is $100-$200 range, full price at the dealer, $25 at discount auto sites/stores (fit is my concern).

SPI is easy to work on - all hoses fairly easy to get to. Early Datsun Z cars aren't too bad except for the heater hoses under the dash at the water cock :) .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts