Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to buy a new compressor for my 2001 ford focus zetec but after doing some research here It seems that the accumulator should be replaced at the same time also. When looking at a new accumulator it says new hose assembly required can some one tell me exactly what hoses I need? Is it really necessary to replace the accumulator when changing the compressor? Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Yeah, if you lived somewhere that it wasn't so humid, and the compressor had only been out for a short time, then you could probably live without replacing it. Refrigerant + moisture= acid. Unfortunately for you, you might have one of those special early Foci that needs a new suction hose and accumulator together if it wasn't replaced before you owned it. I can't remember what the difference is. Hopefully someone will chime in with more information. You might be able to look at pictures of the part online and figure out which one you have. If I'm right, it has to do with the suction hose connection to the accumulator.

There are several things you can do while the system is down to improve performance. I'd replace all the O-rings. That will take a couple of hours at most. I'd also flush the condenser with either AC parts cleaner or denatured alcohol. You'll need an air compressor to do that. Simply use a small funnel to pour a small amount of alcohol in the condenser, and then use the air compressor to blast it out. Make sure your face is clear of the exit hole before you blast air through the condenser or you could blind yourself. Whenever you have the radiator removed, or if you want to when you flush it: remove the radiator, and use a hose to blast water backwards through the condenser. This will clean all the bugs and road trash out of the condenser fins and that will really improve AC on an older vehicle. Replacing the condenser in order to clean it is not really practical as it is a fairly expensive part.

The orifice tube should be replaced any time the system is discharged. This is the metering device that slows down the liquid refrigerant, and also a filter to keep metal shavings out of the evaporator. It will be clogged. It's not an expensive part, but it is a PITA to remove. You'll need needle nose pliers and patience to remove it- and there are also special tools available if that makes you feel better. It simply pulls out, but sometimes the buildup of metal shavings and dry O-rings makes that difficult.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Have you checked out Rock Auto? Their accumulator for your year Focus is $21, and the hose you need: Discharge and suction to compressor, is $74. That's really cheap for a hose and accumulator. I was quoting Four Season's part prices. Motorcraft parts would be more expensive. I think the accumulator was like $60, and I didn't see a price for the replacement hose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts