Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a replacement 3-button key fob for my 2012 titanium Focus sedan with push-button start. Ebay has many other key fobs for various Ford models, but not for my car. Any suggestions other than a dealer?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ford uses the same fob for many vehicles (same with many parts), it's just the programming that is different.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-11-12-13-14-FORD-EXPLORER-EDGE-ESCAPE-PEPS-2-SMART-KEY-KEYLESS-REMOTE-FOB-/111299208621?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2013|Make:Ford&hash=item19e9f325ad&vxp=mtr

If it is your 3rd key, you can program it yourself. You're looking at anywhere from $40-60 to cut a blank, and probably another $100-150 to program from the dealer.

If it was lost/damaged/stolen, you may want to try contacting your insurance company to see if they have any programs for key replacement. They may even have locksmiths that are on their approved list to go to.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ford uses the same fob for many vehicles (same with many parts), it's just the programming that is different.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-11-12-13-14-FORD-EXPLORER-EDGE-ESCAPE-PEPS-2-SMART-KEY-KEYLESS-REMOTE-FOB-/111299208621?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2013|Make:Ford&hash=item19e9f325ad&vxp=mtr

If it is your 3rd key, you can program it yourself. You're looking at anywhere from $40-60 to cut a blank, and probably another $100-150 to program from the dealer.

If it was lost/damaged/stolen, you may want to try contacting your insurance company to see if they have any programs for key replacement. They may even have locksmiths that are on their approved list to go to.
Thanks thejordan. My purpose is just to have a 3rd key in case one of the two originals is lost. I found it strange that on ebay there are numerous fobs listed that are an exact match for my ’14 Explorer but not a single fob listed appears to match the original fob for my ’12 Focus. I like the style of my original Focus fob, so I was trying to get another one exactly like it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
BE8Z-15K601-D
http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/focus/be8z15k601d/?year=2012&trim=titanium&engine=2-0l-l4-gas&group=electrical-lighting-and-body&subgroup=body-actuators-and-motors&part_name=remote-control-transmitter-for-keyless-entry-and-alarm-system
Enter your VIN during checkout to make sure it's correct too. They have good prices.

"The Intelligent Access key allows you to start a vehicle using the push-button start feature (if equipped). To program an IA key yourself, you will need two previously programmed intelligent access keys inside the vehicle and your unprogrammed intelligent access key readily available. If you do not have them, or if you already have four access keys programmed to your vehicle, you will need to contact your local Ford or Lincoln Dealership to reprogram your key.

Programming an Intelligent Access key:

Place the new unprogrammed Intelligent Access key in the pocket inside the center console.
Press the driver or passenger power door unlock control three times.
Press and release the brake pedal one time.
Press the driver or passenger power door lock control three times.
Press and release the brake pedal one time. The indicator on the Start/Stop button should begin to rapidly flash, indicating that the programming mode has been entered and two programmed Intelligent Access keys have been detected in the vehicle.
Within one minute, press the Start/Stop button. A message will be displayed on the message center indicating that the new Intelligent Access key was programmed.
Remove the Intelligent Access key from the center console pocket and press the unlock control on the newly programmed Intelligent Access keys to exit the programming mode.
Verify that the remote entry functions operate by pressing lock, then unlock, and that the vehicle starts with the new Intelligent Access key."

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the key fob from TASCA but then received an email from them stating that the fob has been discontinued. Any other suggestions on where to get one?

·
Registered
659 Posts
google search the part number or look on ebay, found a few. i'd still confirm that part number. but it seemed like it was correct.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
google search the part number or look on ebay, found a few. i'd still confirm that part number. but it seemed like it was correct.
Thanks again thejordan. I just ordered a replacement fob on ebay, so hopefully there will still be one in stock this time. I must have been using the wrong part no. for searching.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Press the driver or passenger power door unlock control three times.
Press and release the brake pedal one time.
Press the driver or passenger power door lock control three times.
Question - My Focus has just one button lock/unlock button that is located in the center of the dash. Do I need to press this button just 3 times, or do I need to press it enough times so that it unlocks 3 times?

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you have 2 other fobs, you can program it yourself. If not, then the dealer must do it.
Even though there is information regarding programming your own 3rd fob if you have 2 originals, this is not the case with the Focus.

I went through this last year and found that the system in the Focus was newer than other models that the information related to. There is no 'pocket' in the console and the 'pocket' in the column serves no function.

The new fob requires the dealer to program it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even though there is information regarding programming your own 3rd fob if you have 2 originals, this is not the case with the Focus.

I went through this last year and found that the system in the Focus was newer than other models that the information related to. There is no 'pocket' in the console and the 'pocket' in the column serves no function.

I have a third fob for my 2012 Focus so if you are correct then I guess I'll have to take it to a dealer to get it programmed, but first I'm going to try the programming procedure that involves locking/unlocking the doors & pressing the brake.

Fortunately, there is a programming procedure for IA fobs in the owner manual of my 2014 Explorer, which references the "pocket" in the center console.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a pocket on my 2013 Titanium, suspect the higher models with the left right cup holders do, the north south cup holders don't

The pocket is probably directly over the key sender unit, and placing the transponder there ensures its signal is stronger than the 2 other keys in the vehicle at the same time, so if no pocket just put it in the cupholders

S

·
Registered
136 Posts
For 3 button remotes with single centre unlock button and no ignition barrel

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
2. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three
seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition off and remove the first coded key from the ignition.
4. After three seconds but within ten seconds of turning the ignition off,
insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.
5. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three
6. Turn the ignition off and remove the second previously programmed
coded key from the ignition.
7. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of turning the ignition off
and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new
unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition.
8. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least six
seconds.
9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For 3 button remotes with single centre unlock button and no ignition barrel

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
2. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three
3. Turn the ignition off and remove the first coded key from the ignition.
4. After three seconds but within ten seconds of turning the ignition off,
insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.
5. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three
6. Turn the ignition off and remove the second previously programmed
coded key from the ignition.
7. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of turning the ignition off
and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new
unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition.
8. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least six
seconds.
9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition.
My Focus has the key fobs, not keys. so that I'm unable to put a key in the ignition. Is there a procedure to program cars with just fobs & push button start?

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is a pocket for the remote where the ignition switch was, you need to pop out the plastic cover, This is the emergency RFID reader socket if your remote loses battery power

I'm in the same boat, no ignition key socket. I now have about 5 different programming sequences but none work on the 2013 titanium with keyless start

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I took my new key fob to a dealer & was told that the tech would have to connect to the computer to program a 3rd fob. The service advisor thought the reprogramming process would probably take 20 minutes or more & the cost would be in the $75-$100 range. I guess I'll make an appointment to bring it in soon.

I also noticed that the new fob did not include a blank uncut key. The seller said that the fobs come from Ford without key inserts. I'd like to have a new key cut for that fob so I'll check with the parts dept. next time I'm at the dealer to see if they have it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts