Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just bought a used 2002 Focus LX today. Nice little car. I have one ignition key and had another made for a spare. The new key will not start the car. All of the dash lights/indicators light up but the motor will not turn over. All works fine with the original key.

I was told that the original key has a 'chip' in it and that the car will not start unless this type of key is used. Is this right? Do I have to go to Ford to get the proper key?

I'd really appreciate some help as this car is my girlfriends sole way of getting to and from work. Can't afford to miss any of that.

Many thanks in advance!

Brian

·
Registered
545 Posts
your car is equiped with a theft prevention system this site
http://www.focushacks.com/

had the way to program a new key for the car (key bought from ebay)

however it seems they dont list it any more, it had somethign to do with jsut flipping it on and off like 3-4 times. Unless someone posts back with how. i will find my old focus books and get the "how-to" from them. If you dont get a answer in 2days or so PM me so i remember.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Well after a search it looks llike I'll have to find a blank key and then get it programmed, either at the dealer or maybe a locksmith. I found the process on the f150.net site but without two keys I am SOL.

Geez, why does the government and other large entities feel that they have to think for me? A simple car key and I got to jump thru hoops...

Rant mode off.....

Brian

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you have your owners manual, it tells you how to program a new key.

You can do it yourself. The key will cost you $10 at your local locksmith shop and you can program yourself.

If you need the instructions I can scan the manual and email it to you.

[thumb]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am waiting on a manual as I write and thanks for your offer to scan the instructions. Don't I need two keys to program a new key? I've only got one key.

Brian

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
p58ff said:
Geez, why does the government and other large entities feel that they have to think for me? A simple car key and I got to jump thru hoops...
This has nothing to due with the government. It has to do with Ford making sure we all pay lower insurance rates due to decreased car theft by using a PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System). Too bad you didn't know about PATS before you bought the car. You should have demanded a discount equal to the cost of a new key.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Once again I urge people to buy a spare key NOW while you still have two and can program the chip yourself. You can get a new key for around $20 and program it to your car -- as long as you still have two keys.

If you wait until you lose a key and only have one left, you must pay the dealer to have it programed using their computer link to the car.

Some people ask, "Why?"

Well, it's simple. If you could program a key with only one key available, any valet parker or other person you gave the key to could make a duplicate and program it to your car, for latyer use in stealing it. The two key requirement eliminates this theft possibility.

So spend the $20 to get a third key now, rather than waiting until you lose one and have to pay the dealer an extra $40-50 to program the car to accept it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, it may not be the 'government'. But I bet the insurance companies had a hand in it. I still don't think that I need anybody 'looking out for me'.

As for lower insurance rates? Well, I've been a driver since 1974 with no accidents and one speeding ticket. I've had a Capri, a Mustang, F150, Gremlin, Ranger, MGB, an Explorer and I've yet to get lower rates. I get higher rates each year on cars that get older and lose value. I have not had any cars stolen due to the lack of anti-theft systems either.

As for Ford worrying about my lower insurance rates, I doubt that too.

I am on the way to the dealer to get a new key and to get it/them programmed. Gonna set me back about $50.00 and I can live with that. Don't like it, but I can live with it.

I just bridle when I hear that 'somebody' is doing 'some thing' to help me. I'd rather make my own decisions and take responsibility for them.

No, I did not know of the PATS feature, I proabably should have done a bit more research. The car was available and it was needed, so I bought it. I hope it proves to be a good little beast. So far I enjoy driving it around town.

Flame away! :)
Brian

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Technology marches on.

I am sure many people many, many years ago had the same complaint when unique keys first came into use, and they had to pay someone to have the keys cut.

PATS is an anti-theft feature that costs Ford money to put into the car. If people, overall, did not want it or benefit from it, believe me, Ford would not be increasing the cost of manufacturing a Focus just because they like to spend more money and make less profit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I cut keys at work, so gave our key guy a call so I now have a blank on order. It's not the cool Ford logo, I could only get the normal Ilco blank. Down side it was $14.50 because I only wanted 1 shipped. Oh well better then a dealer key. If you need the blank id code I can find it for you.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I beleive this is a government thing, just like the locking steering column is.

Now, if somebody really wants your car, there's only one way to get it- Carjack your wife at gunpoint. Sad but true, it's the law of unintended results that constantly trips the government up. Back when you could hot wire a car, nobody ever heard of a carjacking.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Liquid Phoenix: Tnx for the offer but I finally had it all taken care of locally. I had to go to the dealer and after much grief it was all done. They cut a blank and tried to program it and then realized that they had used the wrong blank. Then they find out there were no more blanks available. Finally they managed to program one key, I drive home and park the car. Problem is it would not restart![?|]

So I had to bring their tech to the house, he programs the key and takes car back to dealer. As I understand it the PATS wants to see two keys programmed or else it will not work. I don't know why one key was able to be programmed to begin with but I did hear them speak of a 'valet key'. I guess so the guy parking the car can steal it![:D] The dealership did locate another, correct, blank and finished the job.

They paid for it all so I am pleased with the outcome. Not happy about the long time it took to get it done but, oh well.

I suppose if somebody really wants the car they will get it no matter what. Whether at gunpoint or with a cradle-snatch or a roll back.

"Take my wife....Please!"[8] Thank you Rodney Dangerfield.

p58

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"Well, the locking steering column is, right?"

Not sure on that.

The collapsible steering column is and was mandated around 1968-69. Prior to that a lot of people in major car crashes had steering columns in, or through, their torso.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts