Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hope everyone had a good Christmas

I need help in changing my hand brake lever. I bought a Metal/Carbon lever and gaiter set and managed to remove the center console to unclip the gaiter. However cannot work out how to remove the lever hand-grip. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Love the site by the way, only discovered it yesterday! It's great to know there's a Focus community out there...

Also,
Apologies for re-posting, this was posted in the DIY section aswell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Handbrake removal

Hi

Once you've got the center console up and out of the way, just take a ratchet wrench (with proper extension) and unbolt the two bolts holding the brake assembly to the car's floor. You can easily see the two bolts which need to be removed. When I changed my brake handle, I reused the cable which connects the lever assembly to the cable which runs to the rear of the car and rear brake. Just slip it off of the stock handle assembly by loosening the nut/screw adjuster on the plastic side of the lever assembly. Then, reverse the procedure to install your aftermarket handle. Not too difficult, just kind of a pain in the ass fiddling with everything, since it all is located in a tight spot, between your seats. Like doing any other modifications on your car---you think it will take 15 minutes, and it ends up going on for an hour or two!! Have fun, and Happy New Year, bud.

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Jim, and Happy New Year to you too.

Do you know if there is an easier way of removing just the grip (the bit you hold when you pull the handbrake up)? I can't locate any securing screws at all and don't really want to cut the plastic grip off as I want to keep hold of it being an original part.

To be honest I'm a novice at this kind of thing and although seeing the procedure you described in the Haynes manual I still don't want to remove the complete handbrake lever at this stage. I just have a new handle and gaiter and want to change these.

Thanks again

Oz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hand brake removal

Hi Oz,

No, I am not aware of any way to remove just the "grip" of your handbrake; as far as I know, the grip is part of the entire handbrake assembly. It is all one piece. You can buy from one of the many Focus aftermarket sites a piece which slips OVER the existing grip.

I bought my new leather-handled assembly from a site called www.myfordfocus.com. If you go to that, check out the photo and you'll see it is all one piece.

But, no, I would not advize cutting off the grip!!

Good luck.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts