Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Borla Exhaust and an SVT header on the way... Should I replace the CAT or get an ORP?! From my understanding the Svt header will free up some airflow along with my exhaust but is it pointless if I have my stock cat on? What can I use to free up some HP and still pass emmissions?! Thanx...

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
the SVT header will not bolt up to your stock cat. You are going to need the SVT cat or SVT ORP. Also, be sure that you have the oil dip stick kit to re-route it, as well as some excess hose for re-routing your power steering line. If you dont already have the SVT flex pipe, or one that will connect to an after market SVT cat/ORP, then get one.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think he said it all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will the SVT cat fit and connect to my Borla exhuast without any problems? Where can I find everything I need?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing this. I picked up the SVT header used (no EGR bung), and got an FC ORP from the buy/sell forums. I just ordered the SVT flex and all of the gaskets from a Ford
parts supplier online.

To answer your question, yes, your new exhaust (header/orp or cat/flex) will bolt up to the cat back that you already have.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about passing emissions? Will the SVT ORP ($175) on Mcnews still allow me to pass?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
It depends on how thorough your state is on emissions inspections. If they just plug in to your OBD-II port and check to see if the computer is reporting everything's OK, you could get by with an O2 cheater on the ORP. If they do a visual check and the technician actually knows what to look for you'll fail, and if they do a dyno sniffer test you'd run a pretty good chance of failing that as well. The nice thing about the SVT header setup is its easy to swap an ORP with a catalytic converter, so if you're worried about passing emissions you could always pick up a used stock SVT cat and keep it around for when you need to go in for emissions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pkmgarf said:
I'm in the middle of doing this. I picked up the SVT header used (no EGR bung), and got an FC ORP from the buy/sell forums. I just ordered the SVT flex and all of the gaskets from a Ford
parts supplier online.

To answer your question, yes, your new exhaust (header/orp or cat/flex) will bolt up to the cat back that you already have.
What is a flexpipe? Do I need this as well as the ORP/CAT? I am stupid when it comes to this...[???:)]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The flexpipe is what connects the header/cat or header/ORP assembly to the catback system. And, yes, for the SVT header, you need to get the SVT flexpipe. As far as emissions, the ORP will pass if they plug your car in and trust what the computer says, but if it's visual, you are up [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] creek. I've heard of many cars passing emissions without a cat at all, even where you get the sniffer test done. I guess it depends on where you live and the technician who does it....one of my friends went and the technician was into modding cars just like my friend, and they wound up talking about mods rather than emissions.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, last question... The 2 1/2 or the 2 1/4 flexpipe and ORP? I have the borla exhaust but i cannot remember what size the piping is...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright I guess that pretty much sums it up... I will get the SVT dipstick and tube, ORP or SVT CAT, and a flex pipe, then take it to the muffler shop and say put this mutha on! Thanks for the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts