Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Which sub should I run in the factory enclosure?

• JL 8W1v3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sundown E8v1

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • RE Audio REX8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ID8

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a factory ZX3 sub box and am looking for options for a replacement subwoofer ran off of 300W. Does anyone know the volume of the factory box? What I am considering so far (using MDF trim rings if need be:

Image Dynamics ID8
JL 8W1v3
JL 8W1v2
JL 8W3v3
Sundown E8v1
RE Audio rex8

What do you run and are you satisfied with it?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I don't know much about the older Focus. You're powering it off a factory amp? So is the factory subwoofer 2 ohm or 4 ohm? Or are you using a separate outboard amp? Monoblock? A bridged 2-channel? Because if you'll note, the JL 8W1v3, for example, is only available in a single 4 ohm configuration.

They're all quality woofers. I'd buy whatever works best in the smallest enclosure. Got money for the IDQ 8"? That would be the way to go.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be running it off an NVX amplifier that can push 200W at 4 ohm or 300 at 2 ohm. I have an E8v1 sitting here at the house, but with a 3/4" trim ring it only has like 1/8" between the pole vent and the back of the box. That concerns me.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I will be running it off an NVX amplifier that can push 200W at 4 ohm or 300 at 2 ohm. I have an E8v1 sitting here at the house, but with a 3/4" trim ring it only has like 1/8" between the pole vent and the back of the box. That concerns me.
Well if you already own it, use another trim ring in either .5-.75 glued to it.

Problem solved for minimal money.

K.I.S.S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts