Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insurance company took their sweet time coming to a decision to total it out (not a debate, they just took forever to have somebody look at it). Then they took their sweet time again deciding how much to give me for it. In the end, though, I got a couple grand more than I'd expected, so all was forgiven.

I'll probably stick around here. I know I didn't post a ton, but I like it here. Will probably post up sightings as I have 'em...I keep looking out for SVTs or a nice modded focus. I swear I see more of them now that I'm not in mine. I keep thinking about waving, then realizing they'll have no idea why if I do, so I don't.

Anyway, keep an eye out for me...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Good choice! i think you'll be pleased with that car

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Well I can't keep any eye out for you [giggle] but congrats on the new purchase.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Please keep us aprised of what you like about your new car vs. your old SVT. I'm extremely interested since I almost bought that. I went w/the SVTF 'cause the Blue Oval is so near & dear to me (pretty much everything we had growing up was a FORD). Let me know if you ever have a longing to sit back in a SVTF for a little bit, we can meet up! I love for some drive time behind the wheel of the V-dub... I make the trek up to Westminister pretty frequently. ENJOY!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty pleased with the GTI so far. It was the slowest of the three cars I test drove, but won me over.

Drove a Cobalt SS first, which moved, but was subpar just about everywhere else. It also had the lowest miles by far, though, and it hadn't been for a speedshop sticker on the window in the dealer pictures (it was gone by the time I drove the car), I might have ended up with it anyway.

Drove a GTI next with an aftermarket intake. Sounded good, was obviously slower than the SS but a fair shake quicker than the SVT. It was DSG...I'm normally strictly a manual guy, but the DSG is slick. And in a pinch, my wife can drive it, which is nice.

Drove a 'speed3 next, as it was the car at the top of my wishlist. It was just as quick as the cobalt, plus added a much better interior (not quite on par with the GTI, but leaps and bounds ahead of the Cobalt). Ultimately, I wasn't in love with the mazda's clutch uptake. It felt abrupt, and I worried that for the first time in my life, I'd hate having a manual in stop-and-go traffic.

Ultimately, my insurance company gave me quite a bit more than I was hoping to get, so I started looking at a little bit newer, certified pre-owned GTIs and found this one.

It's got crappy tires on it, but even still, it seems to do everything just a little bit better than the SVT did, and some things a lot better than the SVT did (mostly acceleration and interior niceties). The SVT *did* have the better stereo (especially seeing as how I can't take advantage of the integrated iPod dock).

Aside from some niggling complaints about the nature of an auto tranny (especially near idle or when starting to slow way down or speed way up and then quickly changing my mind and doing the opposite...there's that hint of hesitation that you just don't have when you're rowing your own) I love the car.

All things considered, if a genie came down right now and said I could have my old car back or keep the GTI and the car payment, I'd have to think about it, but I think I'd keep the GTI, even with my budget stretched thin.

I've got 2 years of warranty coverage, and then it's just a few hundred bucks for a chip/tune and I'll be making about what the 'speed3 and cobalt were making...

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
Do you own a VAGCOM? If not you ned to. I have one and it has been great and I don't even own a VW.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Nice replacement...Nice to see you hanging about...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts