Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, gals. Looking for a little advice, knowledge. I just recently had my Head Gasket replaced by my local mechanic. Once receiving it back, I took it for a test drive. Everything seemed great except for when I press on the gas there is no "get up and go" like I usually have. It's like it lost all of it's power? Now once or twice, when first starting it up for the day, and driving, it would have normal "get up and go" for a few minutes then would do it all over again. Also SINCE getting it back from the mechanic the check engine light came on, the code was "P1383 Camshaft Position Timing over retarded (bank 1). I have taken it back to my mechanic, he's has had it for a week plus, taken it apart, checked the timing, SAYS timing seems right, but said compression seems low in the cylinders around 80 or so. Any knowledge that I can use from your experience to pass on to my mechanic would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Sorry to say timing is off. These cars are touchy on checking compression. Some say they get low readings and its fine. I always get 120-130 on several of my svtf. I'm thinking he is getting low numbers due to timing being off. See if he car check it after the car sat and be ready to check it on the first crank. Are all the cylinders showing 80?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, yes he says 75-80 on all cylinders. He mentioned that he (my mechanic) talked to a Ford mechanic who helped him with the timing originally. Said that the low compression is because it was run hot enough to warp the head and it hurt the rings?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Doesn't add up, warped head would have been checked for before replacing the gasket and rings can be checked (rough check) by doing a "wet" compression check & seeing if the numbers change.

IF they thought the rings/cylinders were bad a leakdown test would be next to see where any leakage really comes from.

BUT - you know the timing is off from that code, and as NotReal mentioned timing being off can reduce compression that already tests low due to the cam adjuster even more.

His 120-130 numbers are typical for an SVT, NOT the 180 range you would otherwise expect.

Trickier than a simpler engine to time right, if the adjuster for the intake cam isn't exactly in position it throws the whole thing off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to you Sailor for you input.. Any way to find an illustrated video of how to reset the timing?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, just talked to my mechanic. He asked if I could get an illustration on how to actually set the Variable Cam Timing gear? The position it needs to actually be in when setting the timing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts