Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having trouble with my 2005 Focus zx4 for about a month now. I've replaced and checked fuses and relays. I even put in a new starter. After reasoning that it might actually be the ignition switch, I replaced that. Now only the oil light comes on. What's the deal? Do I need to bypass PATS? Could I have a bad ECM?

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Having a full charge means NOTHING, the battery MUST have passed a loadtest at proper CCA (about 500 amp or so). You are holding it close like most do and why it takes so long to get to your true issue.

Volts (to the TENTH of a volt) on battery AFTER it has sat 8 hrs. after the charging? Age of battery? Is the car doing any clicking at an attempted crank?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have been having trouble with my 2005 Focus zx4 for about a month now. I've replaced and checked fuses and relays. I even put in a new starter. After reasoning that it might actually be the ignition switch, I replaced that. Now only the oil light comes on. What's the deal? Do I need to bypass PATS? Could I have a bad ECM?
Auto or manual trans?

BEFORE you replaced the ignition switch did you get all instrument cluster lights with ignition switch ON (KOEO)?

With the ignition switch ON (KOEO) does the radio, wipers, heater blower, turn signals, and brake lights work?

Do the headlights work, ignition switch ON (KOEO)?

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Auto or manual trans?

BEFORE you replaced the ignition switch did you get all instrument cluster lights with ignition switch ON (KOEO)?

With the ignition switch ON (KOEO) does the radio, wipers, heater blower, turn signals, and brake lights work?

Do the headlights work, ignition switch ON (KOEO)?

Paul
It's an auto trans. Yes to all your questions. Everything worked before I put in a new ignition switch. I put in the starter BEFORE I put in the ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It's an auto trans. Yes to all your questions. Everything worked before I put in a new ignition switch. I put in the starter BEFORE I put in the ignition switch.
So right now - with the currently installed ignition switch ON - what works/doesnt?: radio, wipers, heater blower, turn signals, brake lights, headlights, instrument cluster warning lights

Have you tried moving the gearshift lever to N (neutral) or back/forth from P to N and seeing if the starter would crank in either position?

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So right now - with the currently installed ignition switch ON - what works/doesnt?: radio, wipers, heater blower, turn signals, brake lights, headlights, instrument cluster warning lights

Have you tried moving the gearshift lever to N (neutral) or back/forth from P to N and seeing if the starter would crank in either position?

Paul
The only light that comes on is the oil light. I've shifted back and forth. It won't crank in either position. Maybe I have it installed incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The only light that comes on is the oil light. I've shifted back and forth. It won't crank in either position. Maybe I have it installed incorrectly.
What about the other things I asked about (with the currently installed ignition switch ON - what works/doesnt?: radio, wipers, heater blower, turn signals, brake lights, headlights)? You are making it very difficult to help you DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM if you only partially answer my questions.

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry. I misunderstood the question. As of right now, the only functioning light is the oil light. The heater, headlights, tail lights, signals, etc. do not work. The radio works, though, which is only part of why I'm so confused.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Sorry. I misunderstood the question. As of right now, the only functioning light is the oil light. The heater, headlights, tail lights, signals, etc. do not work. The radio works, though, which is only part of why I'm so confused.
If all this worked prior to changing the ignition switch then either the new switch is bad or there is a problem with the installation. Perhaps you can try to reinstall the old switch. You want to try to get back to where everything worked except there was no crank (which I assume was the original condition). Then we can diagnose that issue.

BTW the radio working when everything else doesnt could be caused by the new 'bad' ignition switch partially working or possibly by the fact that the radio gets is power both thru the ignition switch (in ON) and directly from the battery at all times to save the clock and statio presets.

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's sort of ironic. I don't have the old ignition switch anymore. I threw it out. I can try and fiddle with it and see if I installed something incorrectly. I'm tempted to junk the thing, even though I don't want to.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Tempted to junk the thing and throwing out old part too quickly are 2 sides of the same card.

Slow down a bit OP, the faster you go the more damage you incur to yourself. Life will do enough of that without your helping it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That's sort of ironic. I don't have the old ignition switch anymore. I threw it out. I can try and fiddle with it and see if I installed something incorrectly. I'm tempted to junk the thing, even though I don't want to.
I would not give up. If everthing worked (other than no crank) before the new switch was installed its possible the new ignition switch was defective or perhaps just not lined up correctly, connector not seated, etc.

Do you have a test light to verify that all under hood and under dash fuses are good?

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tempted to junk the thing and throwing out old part too quickly are 2 sides of the same card.

Slow down a bit OP, the faster you go the more damage you incur to yourself. Life will do enough of that without your helping it.
Thanks for the wisdom, dad. I came here for car advice, not life lessons. It's parked in front of someone else's property.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would not give up. If everthing worked (other than no crank) before the new switch was installed its possible the new ignition switch was defective or perhaps just not lined up correctly, connector not seated, etc.

Do you have a test light to verify that all under hood and under dash fuses are good?

Paul
Yeah, I have something to test continuity. It wouldn't hurt to check again.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yeah, I have something to test continuity. It wouldn't hurt to check again.
Please try this simple test to see if the starter motor is working. This test bypasses the ignition switch, starter relay/PCM, and the trans range sensor (aka neutral safety switch):

Disconnect the GRY wires at the single wire inline connector (C1046) which is located near the front passenger side corner of the battery (see pics below). Be certain the trans is in PARK and run a jumper wire from the battery + to the male contact side of that connector (should be the side with the wire loom on it running downwards). The starter motor should crank the engine.

Let me know.
Good luck
Paul

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts