Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the CEL for a EGR Problem - new plugs, air filter, cleaned the MAF all before I replaced the DPFE Sensor - then the CEL was eliminated. Everything's good for a week, now there's a hesitation in the 30-50mph range again, and my gas mileage dropped badly.

Instead of the normal 310/tank - I have been averaging 240 and am scratching my head. With the $/gal increasing every day, the change from 30mpg to 20mpg is hurting at the pumps.

Ideas, suggestions - what's next?

·
Registered
705 Posts
how many miles on the car are there? Is CEL back on? Maybe an o2 sensor. Thats the first thing that popped in my head.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no cel - 98K on the odo... wouldn't an O2 throw a code? is there anything else in the EGR system that could cause the stumble? the actual valve itself? ugh - loosing 100 miles from a tank of gas is Teh Suck

·
Registered
705 Posts
yeah i'm sure the o2 would turn on the CEL, that is why I asked. But thats the only thing I could think of off the top of my head. I'd have to read my Chiltons manual to get any other ideas. I would now, but I'm not at home. If someone doesnt beat me, I'll probably have more ideas by tomorrow night.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool i really appreciate it. i think i'll try some fuel system cleaner with the next fill up tomorrow... and continue scratching my head

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
An O2 sensor would definately set off a CEL. The only thing I can think of would be to disconnect the battery for ten minutes and have the ECU relearn everything. Maybe it will fix itself. Otherwise, I'm scratching my head along with you...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Vac leak?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^That is a possibility. Does the car idle funny? If so, open the hood and try to find a hissing hose. If you can find one, replace the hose and see if it helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
typical trouble spots for a vac leak? there's a slight fluctuation (sometimes) at idle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts