Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two days ago, I replaced the alternator on my 2002 SVT Focus and this morning, my car straight died, stalled as I was driving it, the electrical systems and lights started flashing etc. I had to get it towed.

Upon further inspection, I found that the battery had died and the positive battery charging cable that connected to the alt had melted. Straight melted. Other than that, 100% appeared to be no issue. I'm going to have to take the alt back and exchange it because I had to break off the stud to get the damned ground wire loose.

I plan on going back, testing all of the wires to make sure that they are not faulty themselves, replacing the alt with a new one, replacing the battery and seeing how that goes. My buddy told me that he believes the battery might have been [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g the alternator or that there may be a short somewhere in the charging cable keeping the alt from charging the battery. It drove about 50-60 miles just beautifully and then this.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
Sounds like you had a short occur somewhere in the alternator-to-battery wire. Maybe it rubbed up against something and wore through the insulation. You should be able to find that fairly easy by examining the cable.

Charge the battery using a charger...don't use the alternator to charge a dead battery...and then have it load tested at a parts store to verify that it is still good.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
The thicker wire that goes to the stud on the Alt is NOT a ground. It is the Battery positive that goes to the starter and then to the positive side of the battery.

It sounds like you grounded the alt.

Pics always help

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
A loose connection can do it. A bad battery can do it. A scraped up wire can do it. All you can do is replace the cable to the battery, and possibly the negative battery cable + terminal since that one is giving you problems removing the terminal. Have the alternator tested, and replace the battery. I have serious doubts that the battery is any good now, but you can try having it charged again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts