Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lower portion of my 2004 Focus ZTW rear sway links were broke off... so this weekend I swapped them out.

I did it on a lift, but this is easy enough on the driveway with a 14 mm socket and a 14mm wrench.

You will have to use some channel lock or pliers to hold the broken portion of the bolt while you work the rusted nut on top to the work the old rubber bushing/sleeve off... mine were 1/2 way gone.

Once it's out, the other is: bolt - metal washer (cupped up), bushing (cupped up), insert thru lower sway bar, then bushing (cup down) on top of sway bar, washer (cupped down), tube spacer, then washer (cupped up), bushing (cupped up), insert into the lower control arm, then then bushing (cupped down), washer (cupped down), then the nut on top.

The hard part is that the poly bushings I used don't compress enough to start a thread of the nut on the bolt. You have to put your jack under the arm or nut and put some upward pressure on it to get the nut started. Get 3-4 turns then do the other side..

Once both sides are done, fully tighten and ~ 1 inch of threads should be left sticking above the nut.

I bought the MOOG links with Blue poly bushings and it comes with a Zinc coated bolt. should last 7+ years...

DG[wiggle]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I could use a set of those...

Look well made.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Funny that I used the same exact Moog kit on the same year and same model car. I didn't know how far to tighten them, but like OP said, I guess I have close to one inch of bolt threads sticking out. Replaced them because the OEM's looked horrible due to age. Back-end of this car is a little noisy, so replacing other bushings (like LCA) is on the wish list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts