Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just double checking something that I believe I already know the answer to.

For replacing just the thermostat all I need to do is:

1. Drain coolant
2. Remove Large hose from Thermostat housing
3. Remove 3 T20 screws
4. Remove Thermostat
5. Install in reverse order

I dont need to remove the housing from the head or anything else right?

When I did my rebuild I left the housing as an assembly and did not pull the thermostat.

Thanks.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Skip 1+2. Just put a pan under the housing and let it puke. Sometimes those petcocks are stubborn. Saves all of 5 minutes, LOL.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, will do.

Ordering a:
STANT 45978 {#65978} Thermostat - 180 Degrees Superstat
and
VICTOR REINZ C31612 {#9XG00319X0, W700319S300}

Should take care of it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Do 1 if you're reusing coolant.

Change 2 to remove small hose

Add 1.5: Remove bolts/clamps of hardline above large coolant hose so it can move a little. Makes getting to the 3 screws easier......

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
going to try to reuse coolant just because getting rid of it is so much hassle.

Also I don't think getting to the bolts will be much issue, I have some room to work with.

But I do see a metal bracket looking thing that comes around, that wont be an interference will it?

·
FF Affiliate
30,627 Posts
For what your doing with the car I would think about doing a EGR delete and changing over the PCV to a catch can as well as the valve cover breather

Tom

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PCV valve is already deleted with the C-F-M delete. Going into a catch can along with the valve cover breather and then venting behind the steering rack/front cross member. EGR will be deleted. Need to build my self a delete plate and a plus gorgeous the header. Previous location required both visual inspection and OBD2 scan for emissions so required it.

New location does not.....

Was going to leave installed with a plate to leave the looks as though it was there.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Getting rid of coolant is easy. Put it in a clean container labeled "used coolant" and put it on the doorstep of a jiffy lube or some place that doors coolant flushes, lol.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha. Well the coolant was still mostly green. 25k miles and 2.5 years so I am holding on to the approx 1.3 gallons that drained and will use it for emergency if needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts