Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find the thread or info on this but some people on this forum claim that if you change your stock springs with ones that will give U a 1.5 to 2 inch drop, you need to replace your stock shocks and struts ?

Is this true ?

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
is this true?

Yes and No. 1.5 inch drop no, 2 inch yes. For the 1.5 see below.

Yes you will reduce the life of the shocks and struts, and hence in short time you will have to replace them with dampers that provide the correct levels of handling. The stock ones may also be slightly less stable than aftermarket ones.

No, you won't immediately have a problem with them, I've known people to do this for as much as 10,000 miles without problems. It just isn't typically recommended.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
10,000 miles isn't a very long time. I know some guys that put springs in their car & consider it a done deal. If someone was going to drop their car correctly would they need shocks & a camber correction kit? Would having the complementing parts increase the life if the parts?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
if the drop is 1.5" or less, you wouldn't need a camber kit. the alignment shop should be able to pull everything back into specs with the stock hardware. my car was aligned back to spec with the stock hardware after i put in the FK 35/40 kit.

Mike

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
1.5" you shouldn't need a camber kit. Anything more you will. It is safest to change everything at the same time. If you don't the dampers will be under a great deal more stress than they were designed for, and the stability of the vehicle will be in jeopardy, I was just saying it COULD be done, not that it SHOULD be.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I dunno that the shocks could be damaged - unless you're bottoming the suspension frequently.

Lowering means stiffer springs, and stiffer springs need stiffer shocks and struts to keep the ride under control. And since you have to remove the struts to get the front springs on, and you'd have to remove the front springs to change the struts, it makes sense to do both springs and shocks/struts at once.

I couldn't say for sure whether you'd need a camber kit, but I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Plus retaining the stock shocks and struts with a modified spring would give you a pretty bouncy ride.

Anybody can tell you the same thing.....They only bought the springs to play it cheap but wished they had waited to get a complete kit.

Trust me, it's worth the wait........love my Eibach set-up.

Peace...

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
typically not only are aftermarket springs stiffer, but slightly shorter as well which translates into the shock/strut damage I was referring to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts