Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a Ford Focus 2003 SW. The car is driven 140.000 km.

Lately I have noticed a whining noise from the engine when I'm trying to accelerate at low speeds with a high gear.

Does the noise origin from a worn serpentine belt, and if so, is it difficult to replace? Do I need some kind of special tools?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I had this issue on my Focus as well and it ended up being the belt tensioner. I replaced both the tensioner and the belt and all is good now. I didn't need to replace the belt but I was already in there taking everything apart so why not? I would take the belt off and see how freely the belt tensioner pulley spins. If there's some resistance or play in the pulley you've found your culprit. The same can be said for all the other pulleys.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Since it's a European version, do you have a tensioner on it or is it just a stretch belt ? If the latter, you will need an installation tool that you can either buy from Gates or is supplied with the belt itself if the make is Ford. Either way, at 140K km the belt needs replacing if its still the original.

As for the noise, do you hear it with the car stationary and engine revved ? A whining noise can come from many places including alt bearings, wheel hubs and trans.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since it's a European version, do you have a tensioner on it or is it just a stretch belt ? If the latter, you will need an installation tool that you can either buy from Gates or is supplied with the belt itself if the make is Ford. Either way, at 140K km the belt needs replacing if its still the original.

As for the noise, do you hear it with the car stationary and engine revved ? A whining noise can come from many places including alt bearings, wheel hubs and trans.
I can only hear the whining noise while driving, and only during acceleration at low speeds with a high gear.

I'm not sure if I have a stretch belt or tensioner on. But I will take your advice and replace the belt since it is the original.

Thank you!

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Do you have a manual transmission?

If so, when was the fluid changed last?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Check it or, just change it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
yea its time, the good year Gator is a real good and quiet belt,autozone, do the tension er,and idler at the same time,, the idle pulley is only 12 bucks,,the way you do it is,, put a wrench [with extension] on the spring tension er as i remember pull towards the front of car,, i tie the wrench off with a piece of wire, then you cad just take the belt off, draw a diagram, so you remember how to put the new one on, then change the tension er,2bolts, then idler 1bolt, put on new belt and release,,beer time;;

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea its time, the good year Gator is a real good and quiet belt,autozone, do the tension er,and idler at the same time,, the idle pulley is only 12 bucks,,the way you do it is,, put a wrench [with extension] on the spring tension er as i remember pull towards the front of car,, i tie the wrench off with a piece of wire, then you cad just take the belt off, draw a diagram, so you remember how to put the new one on, then change the tension er,2bolts, then idler 1bolt, put on new belt and release,,beer time;;
Thank you! :)

·
Registered
17,480 Posts
No way on earth would I use a Gatorback belt, the only one in like 30 years I've had fail in like 6 months, they crack into pieces at every one of those supertrick notches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts