Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cable that goes from the inside of the car to the hood latch is all mess up. The inside cable is hanging on the floor in the middle of the brake, not safely. Is there a part that I need to replace on the inside of the car before replacing the cable?

Help

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I have broke my hood latch cable 3 times in the past, mostly due to cold weather up here in Canada. The cable, if I remember correctly, is a continuous part, basically when you replace it, it's new from the handle all the way to the latch. If that is correct, then no, you don't need to replace anything inside the car.

Course I don't know exactly what you did, just assuming it broke when you popped the hood....... I had a 2001 focus also for the record.

·
Registered
406 Posts
jack your car up and take your inner fender out and just run it through there souldnt be too hard just start from the inside of the car of course pretty self explainatory.....or buy you some hood pins

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Wrong Forum, this should've been posted in Technical Chat.

I suggest you order from Mike at Hilbish Ford in our vendor forum. His prices are extremely good, and you might even be able to go drive and get it since you're in NC.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just broke my hood cable too. Just wondering why would it freeze up in winter?? I have experienced a few times that the hood release handle is stuck during this winter, and today after I opened the hood, I can't close it back anymore. I have poured a bottle of WD-40 onto the latch, but seems like the cable or mechanisim inside just refuse to release. and as I pulled the release handle, the cable broke.

Is there a way to maintain this in winter??
And what is the rough cost to replace this cable??

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Don't quote me but I think the cable is about $38 bucks.
As far as maintenance, really wish I knew. I've broke 3 and had the dealer replace them all. Something like WD-40 that repels water would be my best guess. But the way it sounds yours is already froze, which means you need heat to thaw it first, heat gun/hair dryer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had tried to thaw it using hair dryer.. but it didn't work. The cable refused to spring back into position and my hood just won't catch.

I think it is frozen in the middle of the cable and not the latch.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> Is there a way to maintain this in winter??

Using this prior to each Winter might work, as I have used it on motorcycle cables in the past. To do it right, you need to disconnect the cable at one end to mount the sealing device that forces the lube down the cable under pressure:

http://www.motodepot.com/product_detail.php?cid=37&sku=3463

Note that some newer design cables use a plastic sheath around the interior wire to reduce friction, and if the hood cable is one of those designs, lubing it would not be advisable. I suspect a low use cable like the hood release would not use this more expensive design, that is used on many newer motorcycle cables, but it might be worth cutting the old cable apart to check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just snapped my second one today to. this is common on the focus'es this will be my 3rd one

1 - 10 of 10 Posts