Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 ford focus wagon zetec 4 valve 2.0 liter, 198,000. Pulling onto the highway it slipped into neutral then SLAMMED back into drive. later, on my way home, I gave it gas and I lost two cylinders. I changed the bad coil and was good for a day, then it misfired again so I changed the wires(the plugs were recently done) Good for a day then I lost two cylinders again, the new coil failed the same as the original. I then got a junkyard ford coil(tested good) and replaced again(checking the pigtail wires carefully) Good for a few minutes then on my way home it started losing two cylinders again! If I give it gas under a load it acts up, and sometimes it slams in and out of neutral, momentarily illuminating the trans light but no code. I changed the overdrive/4th? solenoid (A?) last year when it revved out on the highway in top gear(like it's in neutral). On the back right side of my coil pack there is a single wire that has been unhooked forever and I don't know what it is for, and I always keep sticking the bare wire ends back into the grey plastic plug that it belongs in. One guy here reported a similar problem and stated it was caused by a bad ground wire, but I don't know the particulars. I've had good luck with this focus and better luck with this site, please help me!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Fixing that might be a start, IIRC that should be going to ground through a capacitor as an RF interference filter.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
It does NOT ground, rather a cap that has a ground but normally it does not actually ground the WIRE, that would be bad if it did. Proper is wire goes to cap which itself has a ground to work.

Look around back of engine at the wiring harness-somebody a while back had an issue with melted wires and repeat coil fails.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
tx amc, better simple wiring description.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Meh.............not correcting you bud, just trying to clarify...............

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Check your spark plugs to see if only one cylinder is taking the brunt of the problem. If one looks worse than the other 3, that would narrow down further for ya.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[:)]All set. The wiring harness between the battery and the engine moved close enough to the hot EGR? tube that it melted. The only wire to short was the trigger wire for the right side of the coil, which was the side that repeatedly failed. I wiggled the harness in the dark and saw the spark by accident. Then I taped up the bare wire and put in another coil and secured the harness which moved originally due to my carelessness. The shorted trigger wire was partially compromised and I only taped it up instead of putting in a new section of wire. The car runs fine, but I wonder if the reduced wire will cause a reduced spark on that side of the coil? I know it's a ground trigger wire, but I still wonder if I was too lazy and I should have made it complete? Plugs wires and coil all had over 190,000 miles on them, only one wire tested out of range, the plugs were not so good though. Thanks for all the help.[ffrocks][strongman]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts