Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Last weekend, returning to my 2005 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi after visiting a friend I found that it had been broken into and some people have tried to hot-wire it. It seems they failed as the car hadn't moved, but they left a really big mess and stole all the car documents in the glove box and the radio as well.

Here is the main damage:

My insurance does not cover the vandalism, so I'm on my own. The car was taken to a Ford garage and they say the work will cost 2500euro. They say the main cable spindle that needs to be replaced is 500euro alone, and the work includes taking the complete dashboard off so is not easy.

I don't think I can afford the work at a Ford garage, so will have to try buying 2nd hand parts and doing what I can or in independent garages instead.

My questions are:
Since the main cable spindle is the most expensive part, and removing the dashboard is an undesirable task, my preferred option would be if I could repair the damaged cable and connector that are still in the car. I'm not sure if the connector itself is broken or not, so I may need to replace that.
Is this feasible? Where to find the connector diagram? I am not sure what is the technical name for this cable/connector.
Should I expect some difficulties that one man and a toolbox cannot not fix on his own?

If anyone has any comments or pointers to useful information it could be a great help. Please let me know if so,

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I would think you best bet is to go to a 'junk yard' and start pulling parts

For the wiring diagram... For the Ford USA market cars there are wiring manuals published that are up to 15mm thick. The days of just having one page that shows the wiring is long gone.
For Haynes or Chiltons , yes they have wiring diagrams , but those cover more than one year and cannot possibly reflect any of the subtle changes that occur year to year

I am going to come back and give a reference to a Ford site that deals with technical info for non USA market cars

Added

Here is the reference:For Europe market cars

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=FB8A728C5882F78DFC4E4C0568C27434.dulv0677

Added
""""""
FordEtis provides access to the following technical Information applicable to the selected vehicle:

Wiring Diagrams
Wiring diagrams, connector views & component locations

""""""

Added
Where we get our Ford manuals (or at least the cheapest place) is Ebay typically new price for a service manual is more than $100
On Ebay one can get a manual for far less
I tried looking on the UK site for Ford manuals,in the past, did not see any
But you could look on the French and German Ebay sites and try there

OR
Order a Ford Focus 2005 wiring manual from the USA Ebay site and hope for the best

Added

There is a Ford 2005 Focus wiring manual for $12.95 as well as other. Tell the seller to send it via US Mail, Global Priority mail which is a flat rate charge

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot MikeShaq for spending the time to share all the info.

I think that's the way I'm going to go in buying the parts from a junkyard. Most critical will be the connector and soldering the wires correctly back to the right pins.
I understand the wiring in the car must be pretty extensive, but I would have thought there should be a diagram somewhere that will show that connector with the pin numbers and a key to say which color wire goes to which pin.
But you think this might vary on year models?

Will check out FordEtis now.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts