Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it has finally happened!

A couple months ago as some might have read I damaged my rear bumper backing into my sisters fofo... [bash] Anyway. It has been horrible weather and the bumper repair fought my the whole way but today it is finally finished. We have a paint booth at work and one of my co-workers who painted cars for a while agreed to paint it for me. I did all the prep work and he did the painting. It will be on the car tomorrow once the paint sets fully overnight and I will post more pics then. Here are some teasers.

All primed (my painter buddy Jerry in the background)



Basecoat all on



Then with two coats of clear. All done and ready for install tomorrow!



The repair fought me the whole way. It was originally a couple little dents where my sisters liscence plate screws went into my bumper, easily fixed by some bondo. That wasn't the tough part though. The ST's (not sure if other cars came with this) came with rock guards of some sort right behind the rear tire. These I was going to take off to paint separately and do a nice job. Well the studs the come from those and go through the bumper cover to hold them on are plastic. The nuts sheared them off and new guards were 90 bucks a piece. I said screw it as regular foci don't have them and they look fine. (i actually like it better now). So I filled the three holes that the main studs went through. There are two slit holes on each side you can see now that were alignment holes for them that I left cause I thought they looked cool. Anyway.

The flexible filler I used to fill the holes was insane to sand. I applied it using some mesh as a backer and must have sanded it down then bondoed it, sanded it again, and bondoed about 10 times to get it even. Then spot primed it to see how it would show up... What a nightmare. I wasn't in any hurry though cause it was snowing and I didn't feel like putting a freshly painted bumper on in the snow and sand and such. Anyway. Enough babbling. I will post up pics of it all on tomorrow afternoon once I get it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SAP was insanly expensive. The other kits I just didn't want to risk them not fitting perfectly. I almost went with the F2 but I had heard they had some problems. And I didn't want fiberglass. So I just decided to repair the stocker one and it came out beautifully for half the money.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top