Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought that it might be a good idea to post this as it's own thread to give people an idea of my Focus experience and my thoughts.

I recently had two seperate Titanium rental cars for two weeks.

I've been considering the Focus for a long time, but have been waiting (mainly on MFT being fixed properly) to see how this car would pan out before actually buying.

First off, I would have to say that the car was great to drive. Very quite, nice interior, and plenty of leg room in the front if you need it. I did find that for me, the position I drive in had my right leg rubbing on the side of the console and at times the handbrake as well. Car had good acceleration and the transmission in both was good. I felt the shuddering that people talk about, but didn't think of it as a problem because it is similar to the feeling of driving a manual (which the tranny is very similar to). I was able to fit both my kids in it with their car seats, although I did find that they were able to kick my chair quite easily, so it seems to have less room than my 2000 Saturn SL. The MFT in one of the cars was fun to play with, and worked pretty good. I found it easy to figure out, and had it set to my liking within the first hour or two of driving. I did find it to be redundant, and feel it isn't worth the extra dough (at least the Canadian version). Overall, it was a good ride and a fun rental car to have.

BUT............after having the rental cars (and combination of this forum), I have decided I will not be buying a Focus. To me it is just too much of a risk. Perhaps in three years from now, I might buy one, but I just can't see it happening now.

Both of the rental cars I had had problems with them. The first car had three problems (at least that I knew about).
The first was that the trip computer display wasn't working. It couldn't be changed, it would just show me the initial screen, where I was supposed to be able to choose Trip 1, Trip 2, Settings, etc. I think that the module for the controls was defective. It was very noticeable that the door alignment on the drivers side was way off, you could see it as you approached the car. Also, after a day of rain, you got the water thing that many people are talking about. I thought it might actually be a design of the car (although that would concern me as to water buildup/early rusting).
The second rental car did not have the water problems, so I knew it was a problem with the car itself. But the second car had it's own problems. MFT was barely used at all as it gave the blank screen 3 times, and had issues with the volume. There was also a seat problem as the bar in the seat (the one against your thighs) was protruding more than it should, and it was very uncomfortable. The back hatch didn't open right, can't really explain it, but it seemed as though it was rubbing on the bumper when it opened, but there was no signs of rubbing.
I should also note that there was a variety of small issues, but I think that would be classified under my own nitpicking, and not worthy of complaints against the car. I have just included problems that needed to be addressed.

I feel that I had two different cars of the Focus, and they BOTH had some major quality issues with them, along with what you hear in this forum, so I feel that the percentage of Focii out there with issues is far too high.

On top of that it has been shown over and over again that Ford is not owning up to their problems, and has a horrible customer service at the corporate end of things. Sure, many dealers are good, and can get things solved, but lots can't, and when it goes beyond the dealership it seems that FORD hangs you out to dry.

I was all set to buy the Focus, and defended it on here many times, but at the end of the day reality has set in for me, and I can't say that Ford has done an acceptable job on building a car, or the support system behind it.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the new Focus. I, on the other hand, am very happy with my purchase.

You could always buy a later model in hopes that any quality issues have been solved?

·
Banned
363 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the new Focus. I, on the other hand, am very happy with my purchase.

You could always buy a later model in hopes that any quality issues have been solved?
Why would anyone buy a car and "hope" that the problems are fixed? This guy is smarter than me.... he did his research, rented a couple of cars, and decided that the focus didn't live up to the hype.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

To be honest, the thought has crossed my mind of it. However, my car is on it's last legs, and I don't feel comfortable driving the kids around in it anymore, so most of the time it sits in my driveway and we drive the Pilot. So I can't wait for Ford to get it together, I need a car now. Sure I could buy a Focus now and hope that I don't get one with any issues, but after renting two of these cars and both had problems, tells me that the issues are too widespread to invest in it at this point.

Also, I buy cars and keep them, so that is a major factor. If I was leasing for 2 years or 3 years, this wouldn't even be an issue, I would buy the car solely on emotion.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Why would anyone buy a car and "hope" that the problems are fixed?
Taking it the wrong way there--

Wait a few years to buy a car hoping that by then the quality improves. If it hasn't, don't buy, but if it has, then buy.

It's exactly what I'm doing. I'm not buying now in hopes that future versions have the kinks worked out.

Skippy905 said:
To be honest, the thought has crossed my mind of it. However, my car is on it's last legs, and I don't feel comfortable driving the kids around in it anymore, so most of the time it sits in my driveway and we drive the Pilot. So I can't wait for Ford to get it together, I need a car now. Sure I could buy a Focus now and hope that I don't get one with any issues, but after renting two of these cars and both had problems, tells me that the issues are too widespread to invest in it at this point.
I appreciate the urgency of your situation. I'm not in that spot yet. If you don't mind a suggestion, I'd recommend waiting till next month and checking out the 2012 Mazda3. The skyactiv trim should offer many of the same positives as the Focus, like great handling & good mpg, but without as many first-year production issues.

·
Registered
522 Posts
What are the water problems? The water problem I see is when I open the rear passenger door after it rains, water is trapped on the door sill. It only happens on this one door. Anyone know of this problem.

Back on topic, I have about 10k on my car and I love it! There is a lot going on with this car. But I love it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the urgency of your situation. I'm not in that spot yet. If you don't mind a suggestion, I'd recommend waiting till next month and checking out the 2012 Mazda3. The skyactiv trim should offer many of the same positives as the Focus, like great handling & good mpg, but without as many first-year production issues.
Thanks for the heads up, I forgot about the skyactiv. I'm planning to buy around Christmas time (if the car lasts that long), so that will give me time to look at the Mazda.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Yes, I meant hopefully the problems will be worked out in the future. Once we know they are, then you could purchase one.

I know where you're at, though. I was driving an SUV 100+ miles a day that was starting to fall apart. I also just graduated / got a new job and wanted a fancy new car with 40+ mpg. If I didn't buy American, my family would have disowned me. Seeing as how I enjoy parking in my parents' driveway during the weekends/holidays, I bought the Focus and haven't had any problems. You could always go for a Cruze if you're looking for a similar, yet mature ride?

·
Registered
371 Posts
test drove a stick SE earlier, liked it - since most, if not all, dealers allow a short couple of miles test drive though I think I will be renting one for a day or two to really get a good feel...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Skippy, there is nothing wrong with choosing a different car. The new Mazda3 with skyactive looks it is gonna be nice ride too. Let us know what you end up getting for sure.

There are some little issues here and there with my focus but nothing that makes me regret purchasing it. The biggest win in my decision to buy the Focus right now is the way this baby drives/handling. I could do without the MFT but I got it for the Sony system and that part of the infotainment system is working very well. I'm looking forward to holding onto this one for long time. I'm also lucky that my dealership has been very helpful and provides excellent service for new car buyers. Newer build dates on this car will have fewer and fewer problems, so for others thinking about purchasing don't freak out over the negative stuff on this forum. [cheers]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts