Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the rental today for 50 miles so far and my first impression is...

If you have one, don't drive a 2012 because you will want to trade in lol

What i did not like:
Narrower, taller, longer, shorter wheel base than the 12 HB
Handling sucks compared to the 12, at least in that configuration
Interior is blah but better than 2011 impreza lol
195/60/15 kinda too small

what i liked was:
the auto trans wasn't to bad, was snappy and responsive
Hydraulic steering assist gave a nice feel (it's hydraulic right?)
stereo is great, 12 is a little better though

What i loved:
Quick up down on windows
Traction control hard button! (every car needs it, especially people in heavy winter areas or track hooligans)

Just sucks the12 you have to go through a menu to deactivate it :(

So far those are my first impression...
Get back with final thoughts when i return it and retrieve my car :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've driven several 2012's, one that needed an engine replacement at 120 miles, one that needed an engine replacement at about 2k miles, one that needed an ABS wiring repair at 1200 miles, one that needed an oil-leak and a coolant-leak repair at about 2k miles, and a few others.

I wasn't impressed anywhere enough to wanna run to my 2010 and trade it in.

I despise the dash controls/layout of the 2012, the lack of rear door-lock pins, the "automated manual" transmission, and a few other things, one of them being the much higher sticker prices I see on their windows.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
I want to drive a 12 and am wanting the new gen but don't want one that has all the shenanigans going on with them so maybe a 13 or 14

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I will still admit that I would have bought a 2012...but man...I got a $6k discount on my SE. That's just over 30% off sticker. I couldn't say no to a price like that!

No one knew there would be so many intermittent problems with the new model, but at least Ford is making an effort to get them fixed!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
i used to be a bit jealous of the 2012's... but with the issues reported left & right... no thanks. i know its the first model year and hopefully itll all be resolved for 2013MY but still... those are major bugs for the first MY.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a little comparing with my friend last night....

compared
40-0 60-0 stopping distance
min turn radius max speed on black top
three turn speed challenge

just a few things :D

40-0 same
60-0 focus stopped a car length longer
min turn radius top speed 15mph then at 17mph both lost grip completly
turns 30/30 35/35 40/33 (was hesitant on last turn)

little difference

cars
2010 focus se auto with 195/60/15 and mix matched A/S tires

vehicle we used to compare
2004 rx8 6spd 225/45/18 hankook ventus v12
(stopped better in the 60-0 because it has big 13" disc to dissipate heat)
(he also auto-x a lot so he pushed his car to the max)
kinda sad it was matched with a econobox :D focus handles amazing for what it is.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You compared a 2010 Focus with a 2004 RX8 ?

That's kinda apples to oranges, isn't it ? [screwy]

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You compared a 2010 Focus with a 2004 RX8 ?

That's kinda apples to oranges, isn't it ? [screwy]

Yea but it proved the focus was still comparable handeling wise. I wanted to compare to hismoms bfs cobalt but im sure he didnt want that done lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
anybody that jumps on the '12 band wagon is a fool. it is a first gen product with unproven technology. i say first gen because it has nothing in comon with any focus except the name.

the '12 does not get the advertised gas milage unless the windows are up. the engine is a bandage to hold over until the real technology shows up. and in urban driving the clutch(s) are prone to over heating. the transmission jerks at light trottle and the car rolls forward and backward at throttle tip in. unless you got it pinned wide open its a joke. to get the transmission to act properly you need to select the Tit package and now you are talking about a car that flirts with 30k when optioned.

the only bright spot on the car is the handling. the electronic stability control and the electronic differential work seemlessly together to expose the weak engine.

imo the car is just a gimmick. filled with lcd screens. the drivers compact has become the womens trophy. something she car park at work and tell all of her girl friends about. "see what happens when i puch this button...... and look at the display of the car its headlights turn on when mine do...."

the traction control is barried under 6 layers of crap and the car really doesnt seem to allow you to have fun because of the shifting program even when its off....

sure you may say just give the ST a chance to get here and youll see. have you noticed that car is shipping with a stick? that tells alot about how trusting the ford is in its new trans

ford promissed us a world car one that wouldnt be different from the world. but already they have more engines than us. more tansmissions than us and more body styles than us. have you seen the wagon? that is the sickest slice of metal. reminds me of a Volvo v50/v70 R..... but we dont get it.

my 08 stickered at 18k out the door with all boxes checked. to get the same spec'd car they are telling me to cough up another 10k? for that kind of money i can get a mustang or a fusion sport.....

i say nay nay.

this car is gonna need a couple of years. i say wait until all the ecoboost variants arrive and the transmission has all the kinks worked out of it

·
Unicorn Owner
2,757 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2012 and has had his computer and his stereo die on him. The computer dieing was real bad too as the headlights stopped working one night. Thank god his fog lights were still working cause he wouldn't be able to see, they are currently working on his computer to see if they need to do a recall on it.

Me I have driven both and own a 2009, I have a lot of things I like about both, and things I dislike about both, but overall they are both good. I just don't like the price tag on the '12. Now when the ST comes out I might think, THINK about trading up but that's another HUGE price tag jump, and I am trying to buy a house right now sooooooooo, the 2009 will do fine ^_^

1 - 14 of 14 Posts