Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a quick question, I was just wondering if removing your airbox cover voids the warranty. I also was wondering what other effects it has, besides the obvious silky smooth sound, mpg increase? heat increase? Just trying to start a friendly discussion. [thankyou]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If an air cleaner is on there, it is ok.
Depending on what happened to an engine, having it off may or may not be a 'point of discussion' (like were you racing? ' Racing' a car totally ends any warranty, so if they think you were doing so, that is why it becomes a 20 questions sort of trip.)
"racing' being an organized race event. driving fast on the street is not a 'race' though the cops will call it that... and the moderators here will delete any reference to such an event...

So no, taking the cover off is not going to hurt your warranty. taking any and all air cleaner off yeah, that would hurt the warranty.
Added: but if you read the ford warranty broucher it says any modification voids the warranty....
And any aftermarket parts put on are not covered and if Ford determines the aftermarket part had anything to do with another covered part failing, then those Ford parts are also not covered.
In practice, no one has problems for these little changes.. but if one did pop up, well, you are SOL.

·
Banned
8 Posts
So all those guys that Autocross are voiding their warranty, since that is organized and they are racing the clock.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Airbox cover holds front of the Filter in place.
If you remove the Airbox cover I suggest that you use some alternative method of securing the filter.
Removing the airbox cover is not recommended as additional dirt and water and bugs will enter your filter.
The Ford filter is not designed for external use. Paper element cone filter.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
You will lose noticable power and mileage by removing your airbox cover. At least that's what my butt dyno and mpg screen tell me. The air can't get into the box as efficiently. Wait for a short ram or cai.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You will lose noticable power and mileage by removing your airbox cover. At least that's what my butt dyno and mpg screen tell me. The air can't get into the box as efficiently. Wait for a short ram or cai.
That's what I found too. Well my mpg seemed consistent, but throttle response definitely wasn't the same. And the sound wasn't silky smooth, more throaty and inconsistent. Sure sounded awesome while getting to speed on the freeway though!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
There doesn't need to be a racing 'clause' to realize your warranty claims will be denied if you participate. Your warranty will not be "voided" as that is impossible, but your claims will be denied outright by Ford if your vehicle is found to have been used in a racing environment. This isn't a race car, it's an economy car, take your chances accordingly. It's hard on the car, throwing it into corners and being hard on the accelerator/brakes, and it's also common sense. Why would Ford pay to have your car fixed if you're the one who pushed it hard enough to break it?

Think about that before you start arguing with Ford/your dealership. I had a tough time getting anything done under warranty with my Mazda and I never raced it, just modified it.

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Try using your brain. I just posted, why would Ford want to pay to cover your car if you were using it for purposes other than for what the car was built/intended for? Not rocket science, common sense.

·
Registered
422 Posts
So when people buy 5.0 mustangs and drive them hard and hit corners hard is it the same idea? Or different because they are "performance" vehicles?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
So when people buy 5.0 mustangs and drive them hard and hit corners hard is it the same idea? Or different because they are "performance" vehicles?
To be honest, in Ford's eyes it probably isn't any different. Individual dealerships might be more lenient, but you never know. The bottom line is, a vehicle is a means of transportation from point A to point B. Cars like 5.0 Mustang GTs and even the Focus ST are higher-performance cars, suited for enthusiasts, but Ford is still going to treat them as just another car. They're for sale for everyone, but it's not as if race teams buy these cars and expect warranty coverage when they modify and race them, so why should we as average consumers expect any different? A consumer vehicle is just that, a consumer vehicle. If a race team places an order for a Focus ST, they're going to understand that once they start messing with the car and changing it to suit for daily/frequent race use, the warranty is going to be useless. It's still there, but any claim would be denied outright because of the nature of the use of the car.

With the Focus, it's even more ridiculous to intend to use it for track use and expect warranty coverage. It's solely an economy car. Sure, Ford went the extra mile and gave us a peppy engine and a great suspension to work with, but it's still an economy car. Say you take your 5-spd SE to the track, race the 1/4 mile and you shift so hard you break your shifter linkage. 1) Ford is going to wonder why you were shifting your car so hard, and probably won't cover a cent unless you can PROVE without a doubt that it was business as usual with the car, no racing, no fooling around. 2) what happens when that leads to you losing control of the car and slamming into a wall? Well once your insurance company finds out you were racing, not only are they going to ignore your pleas for help and let you foot the bill all by yourself, they're also either going to drop you or raise your rates big time. You may as well not even tell them and just foot the bill yourself anyway.

So, you tell me... risk your ECONOMY car with track use? Your car can be "blacklisted" if Ford is aware of you tracking the car, and warranty claims will be denied outright and you're SOL. Or you can drive it like the ECONOMY car it is, stay safe within your warranty, and then have fun with the car 5 years down the road when your bumper-to-bumper and powertrain warranties are done and you'd be footing the bill anyway.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I would not go quite as far as feta-mgp..
A little fun is not going to start sirens at the Ford dealer.
The point I do agree with Feta-mgp is that a dealer MIGHT decide it was due to racing, and then you ARE in trouble.
So it is just a difficult area.
Usually a lot of folks get different wheels, tires, air cleaners, muffler, exhaust, shocks.. oil filters, use some other brand of oil.. all expected and fine.
But if stuff starts getting into racing parts, like I know a performance chip will be a red flag for MOST dealers.. (some might not care..)

And i DO have to say i think the Focus is NOT just another economy car.. The ST and RD are the SAME CAR with a few ADD ON parts for power, and handling. and those ARE performance cars.
So the Focus IMO is NO ECONOBOX!!

Added: took of MY air cleaner box top and went out.
WOW NOISY!! quiet most of the time, but certain RPM it just HOWLS. I drove a test loop on the freeway, and not enough different mpg to think it makes any difference on mpg. And personally i think the loud howls are going to damage the sensors in the MAF sooner or later, (vibrating them to death)
I was NOT impressed with the sound!
So after 30 miles of playing around I put the air cleaner lid back on, to stay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts