Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a quick question, I'm removing the engine only.

is it possible to do it with the exhaust manifold attached or do I have to take it off?

the main reason I'm asking is because the new engine goes in with a header on it and I am not sure if I should bolt that on already :)

2.0 out 2.5 in :)

Thanks..

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Easier to remove the motor from the bottom. Been there done that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but if I do that don't I need a way to lift the whole car? and i will also have to remove the tranny?
But if i do take it out the bottom can I leave the exhaust on?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I'd put the car on jackstands & use a floor jack to lower the motor, trans. Remove the exhaust manifold= really makes it easier then w/ it on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will also have to remove the tranny?
when I took the tranny out last time to change the clutch I had to loosen all the k member bolts, do I still have to do that?
How high do I have to get it?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I'd get it at least 2' in the air. You want to be able to slide underneath it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will also have to remove the tranny?
when I took the tranny out last time to change the clutch I had to loosen all the k member bolts, do I still have to do that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
^^ what he said. just pull both out the bottom the extra hassle of trying to leave the tranny in is just going to lead to more frustration. plus gives you a good time to do some bay cleaning.

if you are not reusing the motor you are pulling remove the head off with the exhaust mani attached before dropping it. Will give you more room to slide it out the bottom.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Theres actully plenty of room to remove it w/ the head on. I did a 23 that way. Goes in the same way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like its coming out the bottom then :)
I guess i'll do the LSD at the same time, now I need to get bearings and seals for the tranny

does anyone know where I can order the shim kit from, or a part number if it has to come from ford.
I'm assuming I'm going to need one to do it right.
I'm probably forgetting something huge :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
r to unbolt trans outside also put in the starter while its on the ground also make sure you have the right crank sensor mount plate.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Looks like its coming out the bottom then :)
I guess i'll do the LSD at the same time, now I need to get bearings and seals for the tranny

does anyone know where I can order the shim kit from, or a part number if it has to come from ford.
I'm assuming I'm going to need one to do it right.
I'm probably forgetting something huge :)
Get a pr of carrier bearings & a speed sensor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bringing back a dead thread, but do either of you know of a how to guide for removing the engine? I'm sure I can figure it out but it will save me a ton of time if I can read up on it a bit first

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,081 Posts
Bringing back a dead thread, but do either of you know of a how to guide for removing the engine? I'm sure I can figure it out but it will save me a ton of time if I can read up on it a bit first
3 motor mounts, axles, exhaust, coolant lines, various harnesses.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
If your doing in your garage vs using a rack, get it up high w/ 4 jack stands, best to remove the hood & bumper cover....Use a big oil drip pan to lay the motor on & pull the pan out from underneath the car w/ the motor on it. What happened to your motor? Ran low on oil & took out the rod bearings I take it? Do a BSD plug when you redo it.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
If your doing in your garage vs using a rack, get it up high w/ 4 jack stands, best to remove the hood & bumper cover....Use a big oil drip pan to lay the motor on & pull the pan out from underneath the car w/ the motor on it. What happened to your motor? Ran low on oil & took out the rod bearings I take it? Do a BSD plug when you redo it.....
I bought a knocking 2.3 ST with the intention of putting a 2.5 in it. But yeah I'm pretty sure that was the cause, oil starvation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Do a bsd on the 23/25 motor...That'll help w/ mileage/hp + it'll take additional qtr of oil...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts