Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys,

First post to this forum! Just got rid of my 1998 cavalier for a 2002 focus. I did tons of interior work to my cavalier... paint, lights, the works. I could practically take the dash off in my sleep. But now the focus is new to me, and I have a project I'd like to do but have no idea how to start. I'm hoping you guys can help me out :)

So here's the deal. I want to install my iPod to work with the factory radio. I'll be getting this device: http://www.mp3yourcar.com/product_info.php?products_id=52
to let me do that. But the thing is, I want to run the cable, behind the dash, up to the ashtray and put the ipod in there. That way i can simply close the ashtray and the ipod is out of sight. Clean installs FTW.

I've searched the web and found another guy who installed this thing, but he had his ipod in the glove box so it was a lot easier.

I've also looked around to try to find a guide as to how to take off the dash in the 2002 focus, but can't find much. I don't want to mess anything up since this car is in great condition. Does anyone know where I can get a guide on how to remove the dash (enough to get access to what I need to do) for the 2002 focus?

Thanks so much for any help :)

Ariana

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Well I can't really help too much but heres what I know.
I'd invest in an aftermarket headunit before I would spend $150 on that iPod adapter.

Then for the dash, I know all the vents just pop out.
The center console is attached with two screws under the cupholders, then one in the rear cupholder.
The gauge bezel is held in by a few screws
The radio bezel is also held in by about 4 screws (so I've been told, I haven't looked yet)

Sorry, thats all I know but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The radio/hvac bezel is indeed held in by 4 screws. You gain access to them by removing the radio. In theory that should provide you with more than enough access behind the dash for what you want to do.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
^agreed. just remove the radio bezel. it gives u a ton of access to much more wiring than ull need =p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot, guys! That's a great archive of How-To's. If I don't watch myself I might go a little crazy with the modding again...

Since Spyder mentioned it, I wanted to address the ipod adapter vs. aftermarket headunit thing, cause I've been debating this a lot. I had an aftermarket headunit in my old car, and my car was broken into and it was stolen. So then I bought a new one, and started taking out the faceplate every time I left the car. Boy, was that ANNOYING! So I wanted to avoid all that mess by just keeping with the stock stereo. Also, it seems like most aftermarket headunits I've found have the AUX input on the front - so that means the ipod wire will be hanging out. A third reason for going with the adapter would be so that I can use the stereo controls to control the iPod instead of having to mess with the iPod while driving.

Maybe there are more benefits of the aftermarket headunit that I'm not thinking of, and if there are I'd love to hear them! The adapter sure is expensive, so I'm open for whatever's the cheapeast and has the cleanest install :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! That's a great library of how-to's. If I don't watch myself I might go crazy with the modding again...

And since Spyder brought it up, I want to address the whole mp3-adapter vs. aftermarket headunit thing. I've been debating this for a while and would like to get some thoughts on it. I had an aftermarket headunit in my old car and it was stolen. I installed another one, and from then on I removed the faceplate every time I left the car. What a PAIN that was!! So I really don't want to have to go through that again, which is why I thought of getting the adapter instead. Also, with the adapter I can use the radio controls to control my ipod. In addition, a lot of the aftermarket stereos I've found have the aux input in the front, so that means nasty wires hanging down. Yuck.

So maybe I'm missing a benefit of aftermarket headunits that I'm not thinking about? I know $150 is a crazy amount of money for an adapter, but it really does seem to make sense as far as functionality is concerned. But I could definitely be wrong... feel free to throw some opinions out. I'm definitely not an audiophile so I'm probably not fully aware of all my options.

Thanks again for the link and advice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! That's a great library of how-to's. If I don't watch myself I might go crazy with the modding again...

And since Spyder brought it up, I want to address the whole mp3-adapter vs. aftermarket headunit thing. I've been debating this for a while and would like to get some thoughts on it. I had an aftermarket headunit in my old car and it was stolen. I installed another one, and from then on I removed the faceplate every time I left the car. What a PAIN that was!! So I really don't want to have to go through that again, which is why I thought of getting the adapter instead. Also, with the adapter I can use the radio controls to control my ipod. In addition, a lot of the aftermarket stereos I've found have the aux input in the front, so that means nasty wires hanging down. Yuck.

So maybe I'm missing a benefit of aftermarket headunits that I'm not thinking about? I know $150 is a crazy amount of money for an adapter, but it really does seem to make sense as far as functionality is concerned. But I could definitely be wrong... feel free to throw some opinions out. I'm definitely not an audiophile so I'm probably not fully aware of all my options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I will try that! Interesting what you are saying about the aftermarket headunit vs. the iPod adapter, Spyder. I made a thread about it in the audio section to get some opinions, since I've actually been debating about that for a while. I'd love to hear your opinions over there if you'd like to give 'em :)

Great library of how-to's, BTW! If I don't watch myself I might get crazy with the modding again...

·
Registered
889 Posts
for $150 u can get a nice deck with like aux usb and prolly ipod control straight from ur deck.. just look for sales..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the link! Very useful stuff on there. I'll definitely give that a whirl.

That's a good point, zx5. But then I have to worry about taking the faceplate off every time I leave the car. I will probably end up going that route, though, simply because it seems like I'm getting more for my money. $150 for an adapter is a little ridiculous!

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Tint your windows and you won't have to worry as much about people
looking in and seeing an aftermarket headunit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts