Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to swap my airbox for the removable filter style (picked up the box and filter for $45 off Amazon, prefer staying as stock as possible right now. Car has noted restrictions on the filter checker thinger).

Before having to give up and put the car back together, I was making good progress getting to the filter box. Got the wheel off, liner out, under bumper liner off, got the two bolts in the wheel well out, but it's still stuck and I can't find how to get to that third bolt.

The one tip I found is to take out the headlight, but there seems to be something holding that in as well that I can't see, and the one video I found said to remove the airbox!

Information is slim since everyone wants to slap a cone filter on, but I'd prefer to stay as stock as possible for now.

Any tips? Thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
To get the headlight out you have to remove the bumper cover. Or with the wheel well liner out you may be able to get between the 2 with a shallow socket and get the bolt out.

The other option is to cut the old box out, you don’t need it anymore so destroy it and get the job done.

Reactions: pizzaboy192

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lopping the box out isn't a bad idea... Or just forcing it out after I pull the two bolts out. Would let me get to the third to loosen it up some so I can slide the replacement onto the rubber grommet that holds it in place. Might try that when I've got a full afternoon to make sure I can get the whole job done.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,346 Posts
I'm going to need a link to this air box! Is it for 2.0l Duratecs? I have 2007 ZX3.
All Duratecs 05-07 have a "lifetime filter". It is inside the driver's side inner fender with a snorkel hose that goes to the windshield. You have to remove the wheel and inner fender liner to access it. There are 2 bolts inside the fender and one in the engine compartment. I can pull one in 20 minutes. Not sure why these guys were having a hard time. Expensive to replace. My solution is to remove the airbox assembly and buy a Universal cone filter. Cut the mass air flow sensor tube and put the filter on it and then put that on the intake hose. This is my Steeda but the principle is the same. Note that the MAF only works in one direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
336 Posts
This is the ticket. What I did to my daughters car..
Yep. Very easy to do. The OP in the link I posted flipped the MAF tube around and had to modify the sensor to put it in backwards. This is completely unnecessary. There is no reason to flip the tube. Just need to cut it to proper length and use the rubber donuts supplied with the Spectre universal cone filter. There are others using a newer MAF tube from another car also. I also think this is unnecessary. Only thing you need is the Spectre and about 1-2hrs in the garage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The $40 airbox is the portion in the engine compartment that does not house the air filter.
Air Cleaner Filter Box Assembly... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008032O8A?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Try this one. It's a knockoff of the dorman but just as solid and same install. Go to the used and new section to find the open box ones. It was close enough in price to ripping the whole system out that I decided to stay as close to stock as possible. (Plus I personally dislike the look of cone filters)

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
This is the ticket. What I did to my daughters car..
Yep. Very easy to do. The OP in the link I posted flipped the MAF tube around and had to modify the sensor to put it in backwards. This is completely unnecessary. There is no reason to flip the tube. Just need to cut it to proper length and use the rubber donuts supplied with the Spectre universal cone filter. There are others using a newer MAF tube from another car also. I also think this is unnecessary. Only thing you need is the Spectre and about 1-2hrs in the garage.
They are getting a lean code because the MAF sensor is not compatible with the late model tube. It is too short and too large a diameter. I had an extra cone filter from my Steeda so my ghetto mod was cost $15.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The $40 airbox is the portion in the engine compartment that does not house the air filter.
Air Cleaner Filter Box Assembly... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008032O8A?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Try this one. It's a knockoff of the dorman but just as solid and same install. Go to the used and new section to find the open box ones. It was close enough in price to ripping the whole system out that I decided to stay as close to stock as possible. (Plus I personally dislike the look of cone filters)

Sent from my Moto Z2 using FF Mobile
The link says unavailable.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I didn't have to remove the headlight. The airbox is hanging on to the inner fender. Separate the part in the engine compartment. You should be able to.lift it up.off the hooks.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I removed the front bumper cover for easy access to remove the whole oem filter shebang, unbelievable of what ford thought up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts