Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2003 focus se and I have to replace the front left control arm, it's rusted itself a happy little hole. My problem is the bolts have also rusted themselves tight. I think with some heat and an impact gun I can get the back 2 bolts but the large front one is the one I'm worried about. My friend told me to cut the bolts out and smack em outa there, but I'm worried I either won't be able to break them free after I cut them or that it won't help any way and I'm just dooming my car forever by breaking the bolts. So what do you think? Can I cut at this front bolt without hurting anything?[unsure]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
New bolt is good to use for that front one (std.torque specs. are for a new replacement) so damage to it is acceptable.

My rule of thumb is to use the existing bolt head for removal attempts until damaged beyond usefulness - no point PLANNING on more trouble than needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elbow greese+angle grinder= DONE!

Thank you very much for the advice! I was able to heat the bolts with map gas then use a breaker bar to get them loose then cut them out with an angle grinder when I couldn't push them any further. It's all out and ready for the new stuff![woot]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hooray!

A little creativity & effort with the tools on hand spells VICTORY!

Good Show

1 - 4 of 4 Posts