Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the trim panel below the steering wheel. From what I have read online, the knee airbag is bolted to the frame with two bolts accessible from the underside. My question is, once you remove these two bolts, do you remove the airbag and airbag cover independently from the surrounding trim panel, or do you remove the entire trim panel with the airbag still in place?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am posting this in the hope that it will help someone in the future.

You will need two torx bits (sorry, don't remember the size), a 10mm wrench (self ratcheting is almost a must and the shorter the better), an 8mm wrench, and a small flathead screwdriver.

The shop manual really doesn't specify how to approach removing the knee airbag, but from what I have read online everyone seems to take the route of going behind the panel from the bottom (by the pedals). I tried this and almost instantly gave up. There is a much easier (and less clostrophobic) solution, and that is to go behind the panel from the top. To do this, you first need to remove the steering column shroud (top and bottom) and place the steering column in the fully extended upright position. Sitting in the driver's seat, you should be able to see the left hand knee airbag stud. This nut you can remove with ease. The right hand knee airbag nut is blocked from the top by the footwell vent. Before you can access the nut, you must remove this piece. There is one bolt attaching the vent tube to the frame down by the pedals. Once you remove this bolt, pop the other end of the vent tube out from the center column. You should have enough room to wiggle this piece out up through the gap by the steering column. I experienced some light friction points when removing and installing this piece, but was able to get past them with a gentle pull (push). Once you have removed the vent tube, the right hand knee airbag nut can also be removed with ease. After both nuts have been removed, press down on the four tabs along the top of the airbag trim, allowing you to swing the airbag down and out. The electrical connector on the airbag has an orange tab on it. Simply pop the tab out about a quarter of an inch (I used a flathead screwdriver) to remove the connector.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am posting this in the hope that it will help someone in the future.

You will need two torx bits (sorry, don't remember the size), a 10mm wrench (self ratcheting is almost a must and the shorter the better), an 8mm wrench, and a small flathead screwdriver.

The shop manual really doesn't specify how to approach removing the knee airbag, but from what I have read online everyone seems to take the route of going behind the panel from the bottom (by the pedals). I tried this and almost instantly gave up. There is a much easier (and less clostrophobic) solution, and that is to go behind the panel from the top. To do this, you first need to remove the steering column shroud (top and bottom) and place the steering column in the fully extended upright position. Sitting in the driver's seat, you should be able to see the left hand knee airbag stud. This nut you can remove with ease. The right hand knee airbag nut is blocked from the top by the footwell vent. Before you can access the nut, you must remove this piece. There is one bolt attaching the vent tube to the frame down by the pedals. Once you remove this bolt, pop the other end of the vent tube out from the center column. You should have enough room to wiggle this piece out up through the gap by the steering column. I experienced some light friction points when removing and installing this piece, but was able to get past them with a gentle pull (push). Once you have removed the vent tube, the right hand knee airbag nut can also be removed with ease. After both nuts have been removed, press down on the four tabs along the top of the airbag trim, allowing you to swing the airbag down and out. The electrical connector on the airbag has an orange tab on it. Simply pop the tab out about a quarter of an inch (I used a flathead screwdriver) to remove the connector.
I was hopeless for two days trying different tools without any progress. I finally found this post. It saved my pride. Thanks so much for taking the time to put the detailed post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts