Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm now replacing my drivers side axle and got a new hub assembly for it as well. (went with the advice for new bearings/hub) ;). The general consensus I'm getting here is that it's a bitch & 3/4 to remove the drivers side CV from the trans without pounding it out through the diff. I don't have that option, and I'm beating my head against the wall here trying to get this done. Any suggestions for doing it at home without removing the other side? That's just not an option for me right now.
The car is a 2005 Focus ZXW SES. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
That really is the best option. I had to purchase a short set of jack stands to do mine because I loaned those to someone who doesn't know how to return things.

One person said you can pry the axle out by removing the battery and battery tray, and using a pry bar from under the fuse box to pry out on the axle and pop it loose. I was able to find a place that you could use a pry bar or tire iron to get under the axle- but my pry bar was too long to work effectively.

Another method would be to rent the right tool kit from a national parts store. There are 2 tools- both use a slide hammer. One is a foot that slides behind the axle, and attaches to the slide hammer. To use this one you'll have to disconnect the lower dog bone mount from the engine and push the engine forward to insert the tool. You barely have to move it 1/4" to get the tool to slide in. You can also remove the rear mount that is under the battery tray if you put a jack under the oil pan with a piece of plywood, and lower the engine and transaxle slightly for the tool to clear the crossmember. Another method is to lower the crossmember slightly to allow access.

The other tool is a generic axle removal tool that you simply bolt the axle to the end of the slide hammer and bang it out. When I used this one, I destroyed the inner CV joint so that there was only a rubber boot holding it in place. If your inner joint is your problem, this might happen to you. I've heard of some people having success with this tool. Since you're up in the salt belt- I'd bet you don't have much luck- but I always think it's fun to destroy stuff.

I have some pics of the tools that I can post later. All these tools and my experience are coming up in a How-To as soon as I can figure out the image hosting.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've done this a couple of times. I have it out now, along with the tranny. I use a pry bar that's about 12" long. A long flathead screw driver may work. I just place it against the tranny and just do quick firm hit with the palm of my hand, and it'll just pop loose. It will only move a little when it comes out. It doesn't take much pressure just a quick little hit with the palm of your hand. Don't worry about breaking your tranny, it doesn't take that much pressure. Once you get it out you'll see what I mean. It's easier that you think. There is a very small thin exterior clip on the outer diameter of the axle about 1/8-1/4" in from the end of the axle. To get it in, you just slide it into the tranny until it stops, pull it back about 1/8" and give it a firm push. You'll feel it snap in.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I've done this a couple of times.
Where did you put the pry bar?

As you can see in the first picture, Ford nearly wrapped the inner CV so that there's no way to get a pry bar in the right spot from the front of the car, or from underneath. It might be possible to get a pry bar in there from the firewall side, like I wrote earlier, if you remove the battery tray. It is not possible to get a pry bar to fit between the cross member and the transmission if you come from underneath on the firewall side. That's why we always recommend removing the passenger side axle, and hitting on the back of the driver's axle with a 1/4" rod.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
How come pulling the other side isn't an option ? It really is the easiest way. The amount of time it takes to pull the pass side. Will make it quicker In the long run.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I figured he already had the car jacked up on the driver's side, or doesn't have jack stands. I know I had a harrowing moment myself with the suspension removed while I jacked the vehicle from center and put another jack stand on the other side so I could do the passenger side axle.

Iroc34 is right- the passenger side axle is extremely easy to remove- no clips in the transmission. It just slides out once you remove the center bearing nuts, and remove it from the hub.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's just a pry bar I had laying around. I have the k-member dropped down(6-bolts hold it up. And, I do have it up on jack stands. I'm gonna go out and take some photos and try to post them.

Ed

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Time to re-evaluate "removing the right side is not an option".

As mentioned above, it'll save you time & grief in the long run....

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It's just a pry bar I had laying around. I have the k-member dropped down(6-bolts hold it up. And, I do have it up on jack stands. I'm gonna go out and take some photos and try to post them.

Ed
Get a free account on www.photobucket.com then post your pics here using the IMG tag. I'm curious because I've done a large number of CV axles in other vehicles, and none previously required removal of cross-members or much of anything outside of the suspension area. This one was ridiculous.

There is a spot, using the back of the axle as the center of a clock, in the 4-5 o'clock position where a pry bar can get in there, but I really fail to see how that's easier. Fully removing the crossmember means fully removing the steering as well. That's quite a lot for axle removal. Axle replacement should be a half day job for a novice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Get a free account on www.photobucket.com then post your pics here using the IMG tag. I'm curious because I've done a large number of CV axles in other vehicles, and none previously required removal of cross-members or much of anything outside of the suspension area. This one was ridiculous.

There is a spot, using the back of the axle as the center of a clock, in the 4-5 o'clock position where a pry bar can get in there, but I really fail to see how that's easier. Fully removing the crossmember means fully removing the steering as well. That's quite a lot for axle removal. Axle replacement should be a half day job for a novice.
I have the tranny out of the car. It helps to drop the k-member to get the tranny out. You are correct about not having to remove the k-member to be able to remove the cv joint. I removed the axle prior to dropping the k-member.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
This is not really the place for a tutorial about embedding pics, but I'll give you a quick run around. In photobucket, when you run your mouse over a thumbnail in album view, it pops up and gives you a list of options for posting on the web. The one you want is the IMG tags, or forums and chat rooms: it's the bottom one. If you choose the URL, then the only difference is that in order for it to appear on this site you must bracket the URL with [IMG ], [/IMG ] tags (without the space) then it will magically appear.

I'm going to edit your post above this one to demonstrate. To see what I've done, click EDIT, and that will show the entered text not the pics or links. [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* That didn't work, the URL you provided was one for a slide show, not an individual photo[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*

For future reference: Focus Fanatics Test Forum located at the bottom of the forum list.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I did look at your pictures. You do realize that the 6 spd Getrag in the SVT and the MTX75 are not similar, and have different axles. There might be enough room on the driver's side of the Getrag to use a pry bar to lever out the axle like you would on any other production FWD vehicle I know of.

For example, your passenger side axle is shorter and has a snap ring, but the MTX75 does not have a snap ring on the passenger side. It is held in by a stationary bearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help/discussion on this! I was able to pop it loose with a couple of pry bars getting in the right spots from underneath with no extra tools or part removal. Got that replaced and put all back together now! My car is ready to roll as soon as I drop a new oil pan on. Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bahahaha FML. I was backing the damn car out of the garage when the upper CV joint just blew apart on the new axle. No idea why, no apparent reason or sign we did anything wrong in installing, just a faulty axle and now my car is stuck half in and half out of my garage until parts come in tmr b/c the e-brake is stuck on the rear tire. I just have some horrible luck with this thing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts