Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i removed my getrag shifter counterweight. I talked to my friend that works at rousch/svt technical side about it and he got all mad at me for doing it. He told me many times that there is a reason they put it on there. Its to remove the stress off of the shifter cables and ends. One hard shift and you might be stuck on the side of the road with broken cable ends. After hearing this i put mine back on right away.
Just thought i would share this info. I'm sure no one on here wants to buy new cables at some point.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i've had mine off since Doug (WD40) first posted his thread. i've had no problems with mine and i've done many quick shifts already. my linkage hasn't popped off the tranny so i think that weight only added to that problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will break over time. If you think about it the weight does a lot of work. When you shift you move the linkage but the counterweight acts as a pusher helping the linkage shift into place.

I'm saying the cables will break over time..not pop off.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
No ill effects as well, at least yet. Guess it would be nice to hear from people who had the weight off for a while (prior to WD's post). I can see the rationale though. When my old cables broke a few months ago they had plastic teeth on the cable holding them in place. The new cables installed were redesigned with better buttons and metal teeth. I'm hoping they can withstand more abuse.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i was saying my cables popped off before the removal, i think the added weight just put more force and momentem on the cables as i shifted and popped off the tranny. i hadn't had that problem or any other since i had this weight removed. check doug's thread as there are people that had done that a while ago( more then 1 year) and hand't had the broken linkages.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mine has been off for over 20K miles of PW development with no issues - and I drive it harder than anyone.

Our other SVT has probably 15K miles well with no issues.

We have early SVT customers already approaching 10K miles and nobody has mentioned anything.

The weight is there for shift effort 'feel' ... not actual shift effort. I've seen lots of automotive band aids in my career, but a weight to assist effort to keep parts working isn't one of them.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
^^^my verdict is IN.....i'm never putting that F*er back in......

even if I *cough* boost my car, I'll keep it out.....he's good with it, I'm good with it

thank you for clarifying that [thumb]

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
no problem, but COSDEVSVT tests with this off, and so do some of his clients. that's enought peace of mind for me.....

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i was at a car show last weekend and i was talking with this mustang guy and told him about the weight. he thought maybe the weight was there for the feel as people transfer from other manuals so the feel would still feel the same because of the linkages.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
I think it's there for more of a feel reason as well. I don't see how that weight could be helping wear and tear on any of the cables. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
COSDEVSVT said:
Mine has been off for over 20K miles of PW development with no issues - and I drive it harder than anyone.

Our other SVT has probably 15K miles well with no issues.

We have early SVT customers already approaching 10K miles and nobody has mentioned anything.

The weight is there for shift effort 'feel' ... not actual shift effort. I've seen lots of automotive band aids in my career, but a weight to assist effort to keep parts working isn't one of them.
20k miles is nothing! Come on. I have almost 55k on my car now. I think the weight was put there for a reason, and I think the feel is much worse without it, I am putting mine back on. This is a real grass is greener scenario. What if the car was released without it and some company came up with a shifter weight...

H

·
0 Posts
pspringe said:
What if the car was released without it and some company came up with a shifter weight...
Why would you want to add weight to a car? That completely goes again the ideals of performance.

;-)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i'm of the sound mind that its there for a reason, don't know if its' a major reason or not!

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
ok i havent been on here in a while..............what are the benefits of taking it off?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Basically it lightens up the shift feel. A lot of people love it, a small number think it makes the shifter too notchy. Personally, I like the way my car is shifting now, so I won't mess with success (and I have an STS coming before the end of the month).

There is also a huge threat started by WD40 very recently.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts