Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sprayed my cams down with carb cleaner then lots of WD40 thinking that would act as a rust preventative. NOT. Just a couple of weeks of damp winter air (the car was in an unheated garage), and i have surface rust on the lobes and journals, maybe the cam chain :( ... Not quite sure what to do now. Totally remove cams and use emery cloth? wire brush, wire wheel?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've read that WD-40 is hygroscopic and retains moisture. I don't know what the packing oil is that's used for rotors, but maybe get a hold of some of that for next time.

Toby

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wouldn't use abrasives on camshafts. Use some diesel and a toothbrush - it always works for me. Also, once the oil is in and the temp is up, it will be like a big washing machine in there :)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I've read that WD-40 is hygroscopic and retains moisture. I don't know what the packing oil is that's used for rotors, but maybe get a hold of some of that for next time.

Toby

Well that seems strange being that the "WD" stands for Water Displacer.

And no, it does not absorb water.

Little bit of surface rust/flash rust, not a big deal. Toss them in and run them. The motor oil will clean it just fine and no harm will come.
If you feel you absolutely have to clean it, some #0000 steel wool works nicely.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Use one of your moms scrubby pads and remove what you can on the lobes , if its rusty on the can journals use some crocus cloth and polish them and install them

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts