Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my battery to an Optima Yellow Top or a Die Hard Platinum. It looks pretty tight in there. Do you have to remove the air box to get the battery out? Anyone want to share how they did it?

Tony

·
Registered
788 Posts
I want to upgrade my battery to an Optima Yellow Top or a Die Hard Platinum. It looks pretty tight in there. Do you have to remove the air box to get the battery out? Anyone want to share how they did it?

Tony
I wonder why do you need to upgrade the battery? I'd be surprised if you found anyone who has changed the battery already. The stock battery will provide sufficient power for at least 5 years. It's not like you live in an extremely cold region where additional cranking amps are important.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Tony
If you are looking for starting ability, I would use the yellow optima, however if you spend a lot of time listening to your stereo, especially with the ignition off, I would use the deep cycle blue optima. The blue top has a great ability to go into a deep discharge and still recover to 100% when charged.

In BC we use the blue top optima in all the "Bait vehicles", and they perform flawlessly for years on end, and always start the vehicle after days of continual monitoring.

I personally used a yellow top for over 10 years in a 86 Fiero, and finally gave it away to get a newer battery for the Fiero, and that was 5 years ago and the person is still using the yellow top in his motorhome to start it.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
wait until you need a new battery, IMO. It will last 2 or more years, 5 years on a car with this many electronic gizmo's is not going to happen. Ford might even replace the first one under warranty, not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Our company owns Optima and they've moved from Colorado to Mexico and the quality has sufferred. You've been warned.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our company owns Optima and they've moved from Colorado to Mexico and the quality has sufferred. You've been warned.
Thanks, Nutty. I've heard similar stories on other forums.

Everyone else: I've upgraded the sound system considerably. The stock battery isn't going to cut it. I can't listen to the stereo with the ignition off now more than a few minutes without it going into battery saver mode. Plus, the lights dim like crazy now when the volume is up.

At any rate, I was just hoping someone would have knowledge on how to remove the OEM battery. Guess I'll just have to dig in and figure it out myself. No biggie.

Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts