Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the shifter assy on my 2002 SE wagon, automatic. There are four nuts which connect it to the frame and are easy enough to get off. But I need to know the process for disengaging/unhooking the rod that goes from the shifter arm forward into the transmission.

In the picture below there is the red/blue thing holding it to the assembly. Although it looks like it might slip out I don't want to just rip it and risk breaking it. On the other end the rod connects to the shifter arm, which also looks like a pretty simple connection (hooked on somehow), but again I don't want to just pull it off without doing it right.

You can also see one of the four nuts I am talking about in the lower right hand corner.

Attachments

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
just remove the 4 nuts pop the cable from the linkage lift the shifter and tilt forward a little and slide the red/blue plastic retainer out thats it :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say "pop the cable from the linkage" do you mean just pull it (horizontally to the left) from where it is attached to the shifter arm?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
gimme a few min to upload a short vid

the video is a little dark in some places, wagon 2 is under about 10 inch;s of snow and didn't feel like shoveling it out this mornin ( brr its cold)

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
heheh

yeah flat head screw driver one small pry on the top of the lobe one on the bottom and should pop right off.. don't use excessive force you don't want to damage the retainers in the center, it should just pop off as easy as mine (even in below 0 temp heheheh)

as a safety note block your wheels off at the back just in case seeing its now disconnected from the ONLY thing keeping it from shifting out of gear and i don;t want you/your car hurt on your shifter repair/replacement experience :)

I got away with not blocking mine cuz my tires are most likely completely frozen to my driveway

P.S. I was freezing cold and just dieing to shiver takin that vid hehehe I went out at around 8am in shorts for that LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I got it out. To slip off the the red/blue connector there was a little catch that I had to press in. Now that I have it out, I see the problem. (My key was stuck in the ignition because the ignition interlock wasn't activating). My BSI solenoid is fine. When I am putting my shifter into park the spring isn't pushing the white gear shift rod all the way up. So I need to clean out inside the arm (and possibly replace the spring). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never mind. I couldn't undo the shifter arm, but I just squeeze a lot of lithium grease along the shaft and now it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts