Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend gave me his shift knob for installing his system. I searched the threads and can't seem to find how to remove the knob from my 04 svt [???:)] it's got me stumped, i pulled the boot up and tried turning it with a wrench and no luck. i did manage to twist of the top that shows the gear numbers but that was useless? i never replaced a knob before as this is my first mtx. sad i can do pretty much anything and still can't figure out this damn knob [?|] any help would be greatly appreciated and maybe then i can do a how-to and could make it a sticky?

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
The shift knob should just twist off and the new one twist back on....Any car I have ever driven with a manual was like this, its only a matter of whether the knob is made to fit your shifter...

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after dicking around with it a little bit, i had to finally get out the channel locks to get this thing loose. messed the old one up pretty bad though. that's $30 down the drain i could have gotten on ebay for that knob. i think the new one looks great and it's pretty much the same size and feels almost the same. it's a little shorter also. that was such a pain in the ass to get off as it was also glued on or something????? i also used a couple wire ties around the shaft to hold up the boot. almost looks factory to me, what do you think about it?

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
I like it. I just got the Steeda STS with their red shift knob and their S logo on top and I like it, looks good against a black interior too. The CF looks really good on urs too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
shifter looks good but you really gotta clean the interior of your car dude! i dont think the center piece is supposed to be brown[dunno]

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
focusTNR29 said:
shifter looks good but you really gotta clean the interior of your car dude! i dont think the center piece is supposed to be brown[dunno]
i was going for the whole cleveland browns theme, brown and orange [:D] lmao got it all cleaned last night, it's actualy black now!

SkaAddict said:
You removed and destroyed your SVT shift knob for a $15 Autozone universal knob...?
i didn't totally destroy it. just the the part under the shift boot got ruffed up a little bit. that thing was on their pretty tight (glued? [???:)] , and wouldn't loosen with a wrench and stripped off. so i had to use channel locks to get enough grip on it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
btw did u look on the knob to see if there was a TINY screw in it... they do that so it wont just start turning on you. Most shifters i've ever messed with are like that have a set in screw.... u unscrew it and then the knob would turn off

Smitty

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah that was the first thing i checked for but it didn't have one. when i got it off there was a bunch of residue on the end of shifter and inside the knob like glue or something.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SVTf shift knob for $10

ok i had my stock shift knob back on for a while now as the autozone cheapie didn't cut it. since i [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up my stock one(aluminum heavily scratched and some of the leather torn) from trying to get it off. i just won a new stock svt shift knob on ebay for a total of $10.11 shipped! can't beat that if you ask me. so now i can't wait till i get that one installed. mine feels like it's starting to fall apart[:(]

damn i need an sts soo freaking bad!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts