Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually do muffler work on my cars. For my new Focus, I removed the muffler. As you know, the muffler is about 2 1/2 long and 1 foot wide. I simply cut the pipe near the muffler and removed the four bolts holding the muffler brackets (replacing them to hold the hear shielding). I then added a 90 degree elbow to direct the exhaust more toward the rear. The extension does not stick out the back. I painted the extension black so it would not show.

I was prepared to add a glass pack if the straight pipe setup was too loud or if there was resonance. Often, when removing a muffler the result is resonance at about 2500 rmp. In this case there is no resonance. In addition, the sound is not too loud. The sound is deep and progressive with engine speed. It does not sound tinny and is not very high pitched. Sounds very good. At highway speed the sound is only slightly louder than stock.

Performance seems the same.

There is nt need for an aftermarket exhaust system.

Tom

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Are you referring to the REAR "muffler" (resonator) that's often referred to as the "lunchbox" here?

If so, the factory removed it on the ST model & many "fanatics" do this mod. themselves, replacing it with straight pipe...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts