Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone here ever removed the actual leather from the headrests in our car???? i am looking to have custom embroidery done, and they need the leather off the foam. i have taken the headrest off, and started to unclip the leather, but it just seems that the leather wasnt stretch over the foam, but the foam was injected into the leather. am i right here? any help is great!

thanx

·
Registered
299 Posts
has anyone ever taken off the cloth one?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Only the face of it is leather, the ballance of it is vinyl and the vinyl will streach, you should be able to just peal it off. If it is giving you some trouble, warm the vinyl with a hair drier or heat gun and it will streach easier. Be careful if using a heatgun, you can easily melt the vinyl if you put it too close. Good luck with it.

EDIT: Also, when you put it back on, turn it inside-out and "peal" it back on. If you just try to slip it back on like putting a pillow in a pillowcase, it will be hard and it prolly wont go on just right.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^thanx alot. vinyl backed eh? thats crappy. but ill get to it. ill peel off the back headrests first in case i tear something. that way i dont care if i lose them. i have having SVT embroidered onto the fronts ones. thanx jaykirs.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k, got them off. the vinyl feels nicer and smoother than the leather, oh well. they came off sorta easy. you just cant care if you rip them. lol. thanx again.

·
Registered
299 Posts
how the clothes ones anyone know how to take those off??

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Probably the same way. Look under the headrest (between the metal posts) and there should be a seam. I think you'd have to rip the seam's stitching out (go to a fabric/craft store, they have a seam ripper tool). So you could use that or maybe carefully use an X-acto knife or something similar. Then just peel the cloth off the headrest foam like you would the leather.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I used to build seats... the foam isn't injected into the leather is self... its injected into a mold... then a plastic bag is placed around it... and all the air is sucked out with a special machine... the leather is placed over it and the suction is released .... the bag ripped out and vola.... there should be a platis j-clip at the bottom that just comes undone..
i have a funny feeling they asked you yo take the leather off, because they know how hard it's going to be to put back on... PM when you get them back if you like and i can give u some suggestions.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
UPDATE!!

ok, got the my headrests done. i had the rears done so i would still have my fronts in the car for safety. what i was going to do was swap the new ones to the front and put the fronts in the back so i would have the stitching on the front seats. get what i mean? come to realize that they are not interchangable. i have no stitching on the front headrests, it is on the rears. but still looks damn good. let me know what everyone thinks. and yes, it is a PITA to get them back on and lined up decently.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it is silver. not metallic silver though. the closest color i could get to the OEM SVT silver. they are the exact size of the rear SVT badge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts