Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mk2 is starting to have a greenish build up on the upper half of them. I know you can sand them but has anyone had any luck with any cleaners or polishers?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
Yeah, I recently used my FX10 buffer from Chemical Guys and their V34 compound on my mach headlights. Brand Spanking new looking! But be sure to put a sealant over it to protect the headlights from hazing/ UV etc.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah, I recently used my FX10 buffer from Chemical Guys and their V34 compound on my mach headlights. Brand Spanking new looking! But be sure to put a sealant over it to protect the headlights from hazing/ UV etc.
This ^^^^^ [headbang][cheers]

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have used Sylvania headlight restorer after reading a consumer reports test where they rated it as the best. It did quite an amazing job. It comes with all the sandpaper you need, and UV sealant and even a rubber glove. Very complete kit. On a 1-10 scale, I'd say you can reliably improve a headlight at least 3 points with this kit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Used turtle wax's restore kit. Comes with some sandpaper foam pads to clean off the oxidation. Finished in up with the included finishing compound then resealed. The lens sealant gives it an awesome shine and feels like glass to the touch. Best $8 I've ever spent and took less than 20 mins

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
Have used the turtle wax as well...I would pass on it. Yeah it looks great for the first week or so, anything will, but after a month or two it starting reverting back to a yellowish haze.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have used the turtle wax as well...I would pass on it. Yeah it looks great for the first week or so, anything will, but after a month or two it starting reverting back to a yellowish haze.
Did you make sure to apply the sealant properly? If not the newly sanded surface has no protection against UV rays and will yellow.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
Actually it's the sealant or whatever coating used that turns yellow, the plastic itself just hazes up cloudy. I've tried both sealed and not for 20 years and way before the kits ever came out. Sandpaper of various grits and then rubbing compound followed by clear spraypaint. You'll get maybe 3-4 years before the sun burns the paint yellow. Unsealed maybe 2 before cloudy enough to need it again.

Unless the base plastic has changed no work at all will fix the plastic problem of internal cracking that fractures the plastic inside to diffuse enough light to make the unit unusable after a while. Ford changed the plastic to bump up headlight sales when they discovered people were refinishing them, the earlier plastic could be refinished ten times if you wanted and NEVER fractured. I've got units from the late '80s that look perfect, the good stuff. They work as bright as new ones. No way will anything I've found after around '98 or so do that once that fracturing has started.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts