Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post here that recommended removing the condenser from below. It looks tempting to just remove the plastic cross beam (and front grill) and remove it from above. I don't feel like crawling around underneath if I don't have to. Has anyone tried removing the condenser from above? 2006 ZX4.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat.

That cross piece you're looking at connects to a LOT more than you think, and it's not all plastic. Pulling the whole front end apart might get you there from the top, seems like a lot of extra work.

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
By the time you get done you WILL be wishing you'd crawled underneath............... Definitely doing it the hard way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I read a post here that recommended removing the condenser from below. It looks tempting to just remove the plastic cross beam (and front grill) and remove it from above. I don't feel like crawling around underneath if I don't have to. Has anyone tried removing the condenser from above? 2006 ZX4.

It can be done, but is certainly a pain. This is from when I did mine over ther summer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for your replies. I just removed that plastic crosspiece. Basically, you:

1. Remove the headlights (easy).
2. Remove the chrome grille (easy).
2. Remove 3 bolts on each side of the upper part of the crosspiece (easy). Removing the mounting bolt of the engine coolant reservoir made it easier to remove one of the bolts.
3. Remove 1 bolt on each side of the lower part of the crosspiece that connect to the fenders (easy). The driver side bolt was a little difficult to get at.
4. Remove 2 bolts on the lower front part of the crosspiece (easy).
5. Now, except for some wiring mounts and connectors, the crosspiece is "loose" (more or less). It has to be persuaded a little bit, one side and then the other. The bumper fascia is a little bit in the way, but it is flexible so working the crosspiece around it is not a big deal. I disconnected just enough wiring mounts and connectors to be able to put lay the crosspiece on top of the engine.

Easy access to the low side port on the accumulator now too.

That's it. Tah dah.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
Remove plastic radiator under cover IF it has one, snaps on. Remove lower radiator support-4 bolts. Unbolt 2 condenser lines, you didn't list that step. Drop part out the bottom, last time I only jacked up one side to do it. Less than five minutes.

Keep telling us how easy it was..................

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@amc49 - OK, at your request, I'll tell you again. It was pretty easy. I didn't want to crawl around underneath the car on the cold concrete garage floor in the winter. If removing the plastic crosspiece took a little longer (more bolts to disconnect), it was worth it to me, and perhaps would be to others. I stayed warm and clean, standing upright, casually sipping a beer. Your prediction "By the time you get done you WILL be wishing you'd crawled underneath" did not come true. BTW, I won't be disconnecting the 2 condenser lines until my replacement condenser arrives.

Tell me about your method of dropping the radiator assembly. Do you have to disconnect engine coolant hoses to do that? The transmission fluid cooler is part of that assembly too (sandwiched between the engine coolant radiator and the a/c condenser). Do you have to disconnect the transmission fluid cooler hoses when you drop the radiator assembly? Any other steps to your method?

Thank you for your replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts