Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering how you guys suggest to remove the decal on the back of the car that says "Focus" without leaving residue or ruining the paint? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had some difficulty getting the Focus badge removed using what some have recommended here which was floss. It left a lot of the foam-like backing on the paint which was disturbing at first but came off with some effort and a little mineral oil. Afterwards just wipe dry and apply a coat of wax and you should be good.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I had some difficulty getting the Focus badge removed using what some have recommended here which was floss. It left a lot of the foam-like backing on the paint which was disturbing at first but came off with some effort and a little mineral oil. Afterwards just wipe dry and apply a coat of wax and you should be good.
It's that easy to get off? Is it just slapped on there with adhesive? Hmmm...

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's thin enough where you can roll it off. If you can get the foam tape to come off cleanly by going slow you'll save time and skin on your fingers. Goo gone works good too.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I actually like the original 'focus' badge on the trunk in lowercase plain text. from the first generation.
I would like to actually get an original set of 'focus' letters and replace my 2012 script badge.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had mine ordered and got it just over a month from order date.

First thing I did when I got home was to remove the SEL badge(I like the focus badge).

The process I used might not be like others but it took me about 2 seconds with each letter.

I used my finger nails and pulled.

Came right off ; )

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Yeah when they are new it is easy to remove.
The best and easiest method is the Dental floss.
Just use it as a cutting tool under the badge, It will cut through the tape/glue fast.
The remaining glue can be rolled off, or rubbed off with some reduction agent.
Even nose grease. (nose grease is the grease on the outside of a teenager/twentysomething's nose. Amazing that it cuts through most glue really as good as Goo Gone. Really. Even some older folks still have good nose grease.)
LOL[idea] [rofl]

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used fishing line with mine one swipe on the backside and it was off...it left some of the adhesive foam on the back but i used goo-gone and it came right off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another good way is to use a hair dry blower. It softens the adhesive and then it comes right off. By the way, the Goo be Gone takes is not harmful to the paint.,

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another good way is to use a hair dry blower. It softens the adhesive and then it comes right off. By the way, the Goo be Gone takes is not harmful to the paint.,
Yup i used that to take mine off and it worked really well didnt do anything to the paint either.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I used a plastic putty knife (used for Sheetrock work and auto body work). Then I used my finger nail to pick off the left behind body tape. Wiped it down with a paint prep- oil/wax remover. Took all of 15mins to do and it was super simple. I'd defiantly suggest the plastic putty knife. Also googone works well to take off the tape.

http://www.amazon.com/MAGIC-AMERICA-GG12-Goo-Gone/dp/B00006IBNJ

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The "SE" part came off easy. THe "Focus" script was harder. And the gunk on the car from the Focus badge took a long time to get off. I did not have any GooGone and i was not about to buy a bottle for one little problem. So I took my time, scraping it off one area at a time with my fingernails. Boring!
But it really looks nice.
I love the look of my Focus.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Googone lasts for years on the shelf and costs about $3.50. It removes the residual sticky tacky tape material really well without damaging your paint. I hope you used something you already had that doesn't damage the paint. (I happened to have a professional grade oil/wax remover in my garage I bought for another project). I highly recommend you use proper chemicals when scrubbing on your paint or you might easily damage it causing it to fade differently over just a few months.

·
Registered
671 Posts
maybe I'm reading wrong, but isn't aladdin talking about the blue ford decal not the Focus SEL or Titanium badges?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
maybe I'm reading wrong, but isn't aladdin talking about the blue ford decal not the Focus SEL or Titanium badges?
Not the Ford badge itself (nor the trim level). He means the Focus badge.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

hated the BOLD titanium badge, said too much of "look at me I am the TITANIUM"

was hesitant at first, but just went for it...dental floss and a little bit of wiggling, balled/peeled off foam sticky backing, goo goned it up, and a good small cleaning left it spotless as if it never existed

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was gonna say hairdryer to warm up the adhesive, but norstar beat me to it! WPulling it off on a warm/hot day in direct sunshine won't hurt either.........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts