Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a rather moderate plan for modding my new focus laid out, but I put it on hold due to concerns about voiding the warranty. I had wanted a 2.5" exhaust, a new intake, and a lowering kit. And they might all still happen one day- the turbo is in the distant future as well.

But that day might come sooner (except for the turbo), if I receive the answer I'm hopin for here.

I know an intake is easily removable back to stock, and changing the shocks/struts assembly back and forth is easy albeit a pain in the ass, but what about the exhaust? Can one readily switch the 2.5" and the stock interchangeably? I know the flanges all bolt up but I thought I recalled reading a how-to thread where you needed to use some sort of adhesive or sealant on the exhaust...and a hacksaw to remove it =-o

Mind you my car is brand new and has no rust so if it is designed to be modular and removable without a hacksaw I can surely do that. I haven't exactly looked yet, I'm having too much fun driving it right now.

Another factor to consider... issue #2...
If I bring the car in for NON-warranty maintenance to my dealership, would they record the fact that it's been modded, or would I need to change those parts out every single time it gets maintained? Because that might be a bit of a drag.

Reminder of Ford warranty policy: it specifically states that it does not cover damage CAUSED by any modification to the vehicle but does not expressly prohibit modification. Removing the modifications, however, will pretty much remove that factor from the equation... they'd never know I did them.

NOTE: I have the 100k warranty not the 36k... so waiting til 36 won't happen

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
there should be 0 issues with intake, exhaust or a little suspension work. they cant just void your warr like that. as youve read, they have to proove your mod is the cause of the failure. if you install the intake wrong and keep getting CELs, thats your problem and they wont cover it... maybe. exhaust i cant even think of a reason. and youre set on suspension stuff as long as you dont expect them to fix any squeaks or clunks.

you dont have anything to worry about imo, but, the intake is easy to swap over, the suspension is too much of a PITA to worry about and youll have to cut your stock exhaust to take it off anyway so dont expect to swap that back on.

i brought my car in to fix the drivers seat last year and i had intake, header, exhaust, suspension stuff etc and not a word on my mods voiding anything. if your dealer is a dick about it go somewhere else

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
I have intake, spacer, exhaust, svt suspension, brake upgrades, lighting upgrades, fuel upgrades, electrical/battery upgrades, and so on. even dabbling now into tunes on the car. only thing i dont have is a header and cams (cuz i dont want them).

I go to the dealer pretty often. Not ONCE have they brought up any issues about all that I have done to the car, EXCEPT to say how they like it! Your dealer would have to really suck to cause issues like that.

One thing, though, is that I also keep up a good rapport with them...I have them do the oil changes regularly, I got to know the svc. mgr, I have them do the regular maintenance, and sometimes just call to see what is new there.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well luckily my parents have bought like 4 cars from this dealer (that's how we got the SES coupe for literally 16k from 21k msrp) and of course we know the service manager really well.

thanks for your answers. I won't have any qualms about it anymore... so now it'll be a question of when i can afford each part. I'm starting with the exhaust.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
good spot. see if you can swing the I/E at the same time...it will tide you over for a while!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts