Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often haul 10ft plus boards, etc. in my ZX3 and find that without the hatch glass it would be easier to haul. Driving on the highway with a tied down hatch creates way too much wind-resistance and I fear damaging the hatch.

Has anybody looked into the possibility of a removable piece of hatch glass or plexiglass? My ZX3 is a beater-utilitian type vehicle. Already the passenger side seat is removed for hauling and the rear shocks upgraded to adjustable for heavy loads.

Has anybody replaced the hatched glass and can detail the difficulty? I'm thinking of a clipped in style window.

·
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔo&
7,806 Posts
Have you ever thought about a roof rack?

I suppose your idea could work. If I was to do it, I would cut a peice of plexiglass to fit - mount the top on hinges and connect a small strut to it like a hood strut, perhaps. Use a latch at the bottom to keep it closed and when you need more room you could open the window and the strut should hold it securley in place.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
It's going to be hard to find something that will fit the curves of the existing glass that isn't made specifically for it.

·
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔo&
7,806 Posts
Since it is a beater, I don't think it needs to fit exactly as it did before, however you can cut a peice of plexiglass to fit perfectly, it just won't have the contour of the window. Since the rear glass is installed in the same manner as the windshield, check this out for glass removal:

http://www.autotronheater.com/default.asp?ID=11

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
If it's a true beater then just remove the glass and use a thick and relatively clear plastic attached with snaps similar to Jeep Wranglers.

He can remove the cover when needed and snap it into place to keep the water out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts