Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone has done a remote turbokit on a focus?

i was at autocross today and saw a 350z with a squire kit and it sounded AMAZZZZZING!! like a fighter jet getting ready to takeoff

i searched the forum earlier and someone said that it couldnt be done on ourcars because of the small displacement motors... but why? ive heard that a cobalt has a squire kit and it quite successful with it at 400 hp

just a crazy thought...

·
Stock
5,040 Posts
I know there is at least 1 focus with a remote turbo that I know of. For some reason i think there are actually two though but im not 100%...

Why would you want to go through the hassle when a regular setup would work just fine. Tom's diy kit would probably cost about the same and it would be better power.

·
Registered
524 Posts
it was a focus on focaljet that did a remote mount turbo
but there is no reason to use a rmt on our cars because we have enough
room under the hood for it

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im pretty sure you could get the power pretty close to that of a regular turbo kit.... the curve might be a little slower but not by much. i contacted sts and they sent me pics of a zetec focus with their universal kit and the intake piping looked smaller than regular turbo piping that would help build boost quicker. the turbo wouldnt be mounted all the way in the rear, just where the muffler was located so its not that much farther to go. and you could keep the stock header instead of getting an expensive tubular manifold or a log. the extra piping could help in cooling even before it got to the intercooler.
i just thought it would be kinda cool to do and its different....

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the link.
let me just say that i am in no way purchasing fi anytime soon, just trying to check out all the options out there and this one seemed cool. id probly go with toms kit in the end but i want to see what else is out there

·
Registered
278 Posts
How do you run oil back to it?

·
Registered
359 Posts
oil has pressure and gets there fine... on the return part is a pump to get the oil back into the pan.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
I read that link a long while ago, but why would you want that?

There are no benefits.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read that link a long while ago, but why would you want that?

There are no benefits.
because turbos make you go vroom[giggle] lol jp

just cause it would be different. i know theres not a bunch of benefits but if there werent huge drawbacks either i would consider it when i went fi

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
because turbos make you go vroom[giggle] lol jp

just cause it would be different. i know theres not a bunch of benefits but if there werent huge drawbacks either i would consider it when i went fi
More $$ for the kit for special parts, and extra that another wouldnt need.

Drawsback off the top of my head.

Air filter sits under car. Lots of dirt, Lots of water.

Extra long piping, more turbo lag to charge all that piping, and more $$ for piping.

Turbo is limited to size, due to limited ground clearance.

All wiring and lines must be routed to the back, harder to do and keep safe from debris hitting the bottom.

·
Registered
83 Posts
More $$ for the kit for special parts, and extra that another wouldnt need.

Drawsback off the top of my head.

Air filter sits under car. Lots of dirt, Lots of water.

Extra long piping, more turbo lag to charge all that piping, and more $$ for piping.

Turbo is limited to size, due to limited ground clearance.

All wiring and lines must be routed to the back, harder to do and keep safe from debris hitting the bottom.

On the focus, I dont see a need, but on something else where there is no room then yes.. We built a 99' WS6 trans am and put a STS kit under the rear it was soo easy to do. Turbo didnt take long to spool as you would think, and in the rain the car never sucked up water, but we also had almost like sock that went over the filter it let air in but no water or debri.

Car made a good 460-500whp. But on a focus with the kits avaliable its almost useless with how much room we have. Try doing headers on a camaro/trans am lol not an easy task at all, then adding a turbo in there no thanks lol..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts