Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had to make a quick errand. When I got home, I knew I had to be leaving again. I wanted to have the car running so I could cool the inside down(being over 100 here in Phoenix). I closed the doors and pushed the lock button and the remote start button twice. The car started but then died right away. I did this several times and still it would start and then shut down. I checked all the doors to make sure they were all closed tightly. They were. I tried again, and still nothing. Finally I gave up and just started the car by pushing the button next to the steering column. It started and stayed runnin. I just thre the key fob in the cup holder while I left to get a couple things before leaving.

So my question is, does it not let you remote start it after it has just been turned off, or do I actually have a problem. I just went out and tried the remote start, and it appears to be working fine now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer told me I can only use remote start once per hour.
I doubt the salesmen knew what he was talking about. I tried it the day I posted this thread, and it worked, I shut it down and restarted it. I did that several times and each time it worked. Also, the day I was having the issues, I hadn't used the remote start for several hours.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yesterday I had to make a quick errand. When I got home, I knew I had to be leaving again. I wanted to have the car running so I could cool the inside down(being over 100 here in Phoenix). I closed the doors and pushed the lock button and the remote start button twice. The car started but then died right away. I did this several times and still it would start and then shut down. I checked all the doors to make sure they were all closed tightly. They were. I tried again, and still nothing. Finally I gave up and just started the car by pushing the button next to the steering column. It started and stayed runnin. I just thre the key fob in the cup holder while I left to get a couple things before leaving.

So my question is, does it not let you remote start it after it has just been turned off, or do I actually have a problem. I just went out and tried the remote start, and it appears to be working fine now.
I too experienced this phenomena a few months back. I chalked it up to the car already having been fully warmed up, as it hasn't failed to start remotely since.

As an aside, since you have a new '14 Titanium, can you check to see if your car allows "launch control" as described in another thread? In other words, with the transmission in S mode, and Traction Control turned off, can you power brake above 1250rpm ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If I'm running in somewhere, I just leave the car on, get out with the fob and lock the doors. The cluster warns that there is no key present until I get back in.

My Escape had the PowerCode system, and I had to push the button before getting out, but I haven't had a problem just walking away from the Focus while it's running. I'll have to experiment more, because the manual isn't very detailed in this regard.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If I'm running in somewhere, I just leave the car on, get out with the fob and lock the doors. The cluster warns that there is no key present until I get back in.

My Escape had the PowerCode system, and I had to push the button before getting out, but I haven't had a problem just walking away from the Focus while it's running. I'll have to experiment more, because the manual isn't very detailed in this regard.
Mine honks at me if I close the door with the FOB outside the car. Annoying.

:)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
One early Magazine test of the ST, they drove away with the Fob left on the roof.

Annoying once they locked themselves out of the car later.

Warning honk might not be all bad...

·
Registered
580 Posts
i wonder if the remote starter stopped because you ran it within proximity of the car? i wonder what would have happened if you tried it from farther away.

mine, too, will honk if i get out of it (with the fob on my person) and close the door.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have this happen with my Focus on occasion as well. I'll remote start it, lights flash as normal and I hear what sounds like a cough. The engine turned over but does not start. I think this is a common thing with Fords since my cousin has it on occasion with his Edge. Something to do with the car thinking there is a door open or the brake pedal depressed a little- not quite sure though. Mine usually goes back to normal once I do a normal start in the car. Not even going to attempt the dealer because I know they won't be able to reproduce it, no codes either. Maybe like a 1 in 25 remote start failure rate.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Aren't all remote starter aftermarket? Why the dealer would care (not to lie)?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
On the Titanium, it's a factory integrated feature.
Well... good to know...

I never knew why it took so long for makers to integrate the remote starter... liability reason???

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

If this concern comes back, please let me know so I can look into some options.

I bought a Titanium yesterday. The dealer told me I can only use remote start once per hour.
It’s actually twice, 15 minutes run time each one; the main reason is any vehicle should be fully cooled or heated in 15 minutes. The second time is in case you hit the start button and accidentally shut it off early, you can restart it. The reason it's 15 minutes is to cut down on idle time, thus cutting down on emissions.

Meagan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts