Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

First time on here because I am in need of some professional help! I have a 2013 Focus and am looking to get a remote start installed. Here is what I have so far:

-the dealer quoted me $499.95 installed. Told me 2013s are not Plug n Play so they are a bigger pain to complete and I would need 2 fobs regardless

-Best Buy quoted me $300 installed for a Viper Model 4115V1D. They also said I would only need a hood tilt switch versus a bypass module. Also was never told I would lose my spare key in the process.

-I also had an independent place in the Chicago Suburbs quote me the same Viper model installed for $350.

I guess my biggest question is do you think its necessary to go dealer or can I go with Best buy or and independent? Also, do I need a bypass module and am I going to lose my spare key in any of these scenarios?

I'm honestly not looking for anything special. I just want to stand in my house and start my car. All opinions and advice are welcome! Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hey everyone,

First time on here because I am in need of some professional help! I have a 2013 Focus and am looking to get a remote start installed. Here is what I have so far:

-the dealer quoted me $499.95 installed. Told me 2013s are not Plug n Play so they are a bigger pain to complete and I would need 2 fobs regardless

-Best Buy quoted me $300 installed for a Viper Model 4115V1D. They also said I would only need a hood tilt switch versus a bypass module. Also was never told I would lose my spare key in the process.

-I also had an independent place in the Chicago Suburbs quote me the same Viper model installed for $350.

I guess my biggest question is do you think its necessary to go dealer or can I go with Best buy or and independent? Also, do I need a bypass module and am I going to lose my spare key in any of these scenarios?

I'm honestly not looking for anything special. I just want to stand in my house and start my car. All opinions and advice are welcome! Thanks for your help in advance!
Do you have a Titanium or an S/SE? I installed the Ford OEM Bidirectional remote start in my Focus SE over the summer. It is pretty much plug and play, you only splice about 4 or 5 wires. It took me like 6 hours to do though, because I hadn't done it before and was going super slow. I don't think anything changed between 2013 and 2014 that would cause it to be any different, since the part number is still the same. The Ford OEM comes with a bypass module. You need 2 keys to program this, but you don't have to stick a key in the dash anywhere, so you don't loose it. $499 does seem like the going rate for dealer installed. You should see how much they would charge just for the labor, you can find the basic ford non-bidirectional remote start for about $240 online.

I'm not sure why Best Buy told you that you would need a hood-tilt switch vs a bypass module, because those things don't even serve the same purpose. I'm pretty sure you will need a bypass regardless of what system you go with to get around PATS.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Try Tint World in Bensenville, Illinois. Best service and prices. Be warned, they are usually booked for two months. ABC Electronics is where I had my Focus done with a Viper 2 way. Nothing fancy, 2,000 foot range, which is short compared to the 2 mile versions. And no, a bypass module is used in lieu of your spare key. That is usually 100 bucks extra. My wife's Accord was done at Tint World and it was 239.00 with the module included. Incredible price for the product although not a Viper, it works great. Good luck, stay warm. Chicago Hawk (Cold ass weather for non-Chicago types) is around the corner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Everyone for the help! I did call Tint World and they quoted me 239 as well. Seems like the best deal at this point as they reassured me of my concerns. Is there anything additional I need to be forewarned about before I go through with this? I just don't want to miss anything and accidentally screw up my car.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If you get one professionally installed, ask for ALL the ppwk. that comes with it & keep that with the car. (including inst. instructions)

If there are ever any problems, you'll need to know what it is & how to return to stock if necessary.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I was quoted 399 for a single button two way compustar at the shop I always go to. Best buy was unable to give me a full price but said it "starts" at 269.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey everyone,

If it were me, I'd call the Ford dealer and speak with the Service Manager and quote the prices you've been given at the other places. Usually they will work with you to bring the price down, at least somewhat in my experience. The other benefit of going the dealer route is that it won't void and part of your warranty and usually the part itself comes with it's own warranty. 12 months or 12,000 miles, etc.... It's worth checking out. Personally I rarely trust places like Best Buy or others to cut in to my wiring harness. The person doing the work usually is not a mechanic, but rather an inexperienced 20 something year old who's only real experience is in modding his own vehicle or his friends. I'd much rather trust the work to an automotive mechanic and someone who is certified to handle that type of work. Sometimes cheaper isn't always better. Just my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If it were me, I'd call the Ford dealer and speak with the Service Manager and quote the prices you've been given at the other places. Usually they will work with you to bring the price down, at least somewhat in my experience. The other benefit of going the dealer route is that it won't void and part of your warranty and usually the part itself comes with it's own warranty. 12 months or 12,000 miles, etc.... It's worth checking out. Personally I rarely trust places like Best Buy or others to cut in to my wiring harness. The person doing the work usually is not a mechanic, but rather an inexperienced 20 something year old who's only real experience is in modding his own vehicle or his friends. I'd much rather trust the work to an automotive mechanic and someone who is certified to handle that type of work. Sometimes cheaper isn't always better. Just my .02 cents worth.
Very true. But for me, the lifetime warranty of a Viper was the clincher. Also, it does not void any warranty. My installer soldered all wires and did a neat job of it. Lastly, when I looked at the Ford remote, they couldn't even tell me how far it worked only that it was comparable to the FOB distance. Well, that's a far cry from 3200 feet for my Viper. Simply put, Viper has a great reputation for remotes and security equipment. Much better than Ford ever will.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Very true. But for me, the lifetime warranty of a Viper was the clincher. Also, it does not void any warranty. My installer soldered all wires and did a neat job of it. Lastly, when I looked at the Ford remote, they couldn't even tell me how far it worked only that it was comparable to the FOB distance. Well, that's a far cry from 3200 feet for my Viper. Simply put, Viper has a great reputation for remotes and security equipment. Much better than Ford ever will.
As long as YOUR happy, that's all that matters. [:)]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts