Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some tips about using our remote start on our 2012 Focus? We have not paid any attention to but since it is getting near cold weather/winter we will be using it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
owners manual
That happens to be the first place I looked. There is not a peep in my owners manual about it. If you have an 2012 owners manual with instructions about it, what page is it and where in the index is it listed. Awaiting your reply [scratch]

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
I do not own a 2012 Focus.

Is it aftermarket? If its OEM it should be in the manual otherwise idk what to tell you.

Mods please move to 2012 section...

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
I had remote start on my Saturn. Is it on your key fob? Or no? Mine was easy just push the button and it started right up :)

sent from my phone

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. It is OEM and there are no instructions about it in any of the paper work.

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
You could Google it. That might turn up some kind of instructions :)

sent from my phone

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a dealer installed Ford remote start. It starts the car ok but when I get in and put the key in the ignition it turns off. I turn the key and it restarts. The sales person tells me this is normal but it does'nt seam right to me.
Anyone else have dealer installed remote start that can comment?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a dealer installed Ford remote start. It starts the car ok but when I get in and put the key in the ignition it turns off. I turn the key and it restarts. The sales person tells me this is normal but it does'nt seam right to me.
Anyone else have dealer installed remote start that can comment?
I have the remote start on our 2012 Titanium. I think it was dealer installed but we ordered when we ordered the car. I agree that there is little to no information on how it functions. However, I have experienced the following: When activated, it locks the doors. We have keyless entry and ignition. When you open the door, the car shuts off needing to be restarted after entry. I like that feature so it cannot be stolen. Anyone having additional information I would also like to know as a remote starting section is not in the manual.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Third Generation Ford Focus (2012)"

~~side note, I think this is the first time I have moved something into the 2012 area~~

You should get some more response in here.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It shuts off when you open the door because of "MyKey".

Remote start equipped vehicles have an IA key buried in the dash. When you remote start the vehicle, it uses the ID of that buried key to start the vehicle. The vehicle shuts off when you open the door so you are forced to restart the vehicle with the IA key that is in your pocket. They do that so you can't bypass a MyKey (if the key in your pocket had limits programmed into it you are forced to start the vehicle with that key and drive by those speed limits as opposed to remote starting the vehicle and using the buried key that doesn't have limits). hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It shuts off when you open the door because of "MyKey".

Remote start equipped vehicles have an IA key buried in the dash. When you remote start the vehicle, it uses the ID of that buried key to start the vehicle. The vehicle shuts off when you open the door so you are forced to restart the vehicle with the IA key that is in your pocket. They do that so you can't bypass a MyKey (if the key in your pocket had limits programmed into it you are forced to start the vehicle with that key and drive by those speed limits as opposed to remote starting the vehicle and using the buried key that doesn't have limits). hope that makes sense.
Thanks, makes sense to me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It makes sense thanks. Still annoying that you have to start the car 2x everytime you use remote start though...
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
399 Posts
I dug through the install instructions for the Focus and I must make a correction in what I said. Yours has the individual remote start fob right? (not built into the IA fob?) If so, there isn't an IA key buried in the dash like I had mentioned, but the system views your remote start fob as a separate key.

Sorry, I thought the system was the same as some of the other push-start products out there (lincolns) where an IA key gets buried in the dash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a SEL and do not have IA key. Mine does not shut off when I open the door, only when I touch the brake or insert the key.
Having to start the car twice when using the remote start is beginning to sound normal for this car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Remote Start Info

That happens to be the first place I looked. There is not a peep in my owners manual about it. If you have an 2012 owners manual with instructions about it, what page is it and where in the index is it listed. Awaiting your reply [scratch]
The dealer provided me with Installation/instruction manuals on all of the items that were dealer installed (door sills, exterior protection package, remote start & engine block heater), the block heater was installed at the factory but the ac cord was hooked to the heater and routed at the dealership. I'd suggest that you go back to the dealer and ask - where's the paperwork? The remote start book details installation & includes instructions for use.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My dealer did not. It sure shows the difference between taking your money and forgetting who you are after the sale, doesn't it? Ask me if I will go back there for a new car. I had stainless front door sill protectors, exterior protection package, rear bumper guard and remote start as options but got no paper work at all other than the warranty books and manual furnished by FORD. Living in TN I, thought we would not need a block heater as someone would in MN or WI.

The dealer provided me with Installation/instruction manuals on all of the items that were dealer installed (door sills, exterior protection package, remote start & engine block heater), the block heater was installed at the factory but the ac cord was hooked to the heater and routed at the dealership. I'd suggest that you go back to the dealer and ask - where's the paperwork? The remote start book details installation & includes instructions for use.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My dealer did not. It sure shows the difference between taking your money and forgetting who you are after the sale, doesn't it? Ask me if I will go back there for a new car. I had stainless front door sill protectors, exterior protection package, rear bumper guard and remote start as options but got no paper work at all other than the warranty books and manual furnished by FORD. Living in TN I, thought we would not need to block heater as someone would in MN or WI.

This dealer installed option came on my Titanium. (I didn't really want it but I was searching for a discontinued color at the time (Red Candy) and had to take options I didn't want..you know that whole deal.) There was a small white paper supplement book that is in my glove box. Don't have access to it right now but I don't recall it having a ton of useful info. I did quite a bit of research and talking to the dealer about the having to restart a 2nd time once in the car. The conclusion I came to is "that's the way it is". Stupid considering this is sold by Ford. Oh well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's like RatFink said. Since the Tis have an IA key it keeps that from getting overriden so the car will not be stolen. I didn't like it at first either but would rather have my car warmed up a little and still there rather than someone else driving away in my warm car.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts